The International English Language Testing System (IELTS), PTE and Duolingo are assessments of your skills in English, especially your listening, reading, writing and speaking.
If you live outside the UK, and come from a non-English-speaking country, and are planning to study in the UK then you must demonstrate ability in these areas. This is not a requirement if you come from an English-speaking country. We use the same list of English-speaking countries used by the UK Government for Student Visas, which can be found here: List of English-speaking countries.
For our ABID qualifications you will need to hold IELTS English at Level 5.0 or above or PTE Academic English with a score of 29 or above, or a Duolingo score between 70 and 80.
Universities have higher requirements and each university sets its own requirements. As our ABIDs are conducted in English, it is expected that you will develop skills in all four areas during your Course so that you will be able to meet these higher requirements from universities by the end of your studies with us. You can find out what their requirements are by looking up universities here.
Both IELTS and PTE require you to book and sit tests at a test site and you will be tested on all four of the aspects of English needed - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. With Duolingo, you are assessed on the same aspects of English, but the test is completed online.
- IELTS scores are universally accepted by UK universities (and many others worldwide) for entry onto their courses, not all will accept PTE.
- IELTS have 1600 test locations in over 140 countries.
- You need to take IELTS Academic, not IELTS General Training.
- The current cost is approximately £185.00 in the UK (2021) but the booking site gives charges in local currency.
- When booking, you will be able to choose up to 5 organisations where your results will be sent free of charge, so you will be able to ensure they are sent to us.
- You can find out full detailed information and book your IELTS test from their web site https://www.ielts.org/.
- To help you prepare for your IELTS Test, Future Learn, in partnership with the British Council are offering 7-day free trials for their Understanding IELTS Courses at which point you can decide whether you wish to pay a monthly fee to continue.
- We accept PTE scores for ABID entry although when deciding whether to choose the PTE or the IELTS route, you may wish to bear in mind that not all UK Universities will accept PTE scores for entry.
- PTE have over 250 global test centres.
- You need to take PTE Academic.
- The current cost is approximately £170.00 in the UK (2021) but the booking site gives charges in local currency.
- When booking, you will be able to choose as many organisations as you like where your results will be sent free of charge, so you will be able to ensure they are sent to us.
- You can find out full detailed information and book your PTE test from their web site https://pearsonpte.com/.
- You can also download a Full Guide for Test Takers.
- We accept Duolingo scores for ABID entry although when deciding whether to choose this route, rather than IELTS or PTE, you may wish to bear in mind that not all UK Universities will accept Duolingo scores for entry. However, the list of universities that will consider Duolingo is growing.
- With Duolingo, you will study for, and complete the test online at a location and time that suits your needs. Results are available 48 hours after completing the test.
- The current cost is approximately $49 USD or £36 pounds Stirling in the UK (2022).
- You can find out full detailed information from their web site, Duolingo English Test.