Online courses to suit your lifestyle

Grants & Funding

Potential sources of funding.

IMPORTANT NOTE - DLC receives no Government Funding which means that it is not registered with the SFA (Skills Funding Agency). Unfortunately, although many funding sources are fine for DistanceLearningCentre.com students, this means that certain sources of grant funding are not available to our students, some examples are:

If you are applying for funding, please check first with the funding body. We are happy to advise on specific queries. If you are looking for finance for when you go to University once you have completed your course with DLC, you can find all you need on Student Finance England.

Enhanced Learning Credits (ELCs). The MOD's Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme is an initiative to promote lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. DistanceLearningCentre.com is an approved learning provider on this scheme (our Provider ID is 4227) and our courses can be found on the ELC database. If you have ELCs and want to use them to study with DistanceLearningCentre.com, find out how >>>

Standard Learning Credits (SLC) - Armed Forces Personnel can apply to use the Standard Learning Credits towards the cost of their learning for GCSE and Level 2 Progression Awards. If you want to use Standard learning credits to study with DistanceLearningCentre.com, you must take advice from your local Education Officer to understand the eligibility of using SLC for a course and how to apply. SLC is a refund scheme and operates as an annualised allowance from 1 Apr to 31 Mar and cannot be carried forward from year to year. SLC monies are paid to claimants upon completion of learning and you will be required to provide proof of payment and proof of completion or attendance.

Student Cash Point is a comprehensive source of information on grants, loans, bursaries, scholarships and awards available to undergraduate and postgraduate students in the UK. Millions of pounds worth of funding is up for grabs each year from the government, charitable trusts and universities to help students cover course costs, rent, and all the other little living expenses that quickly add up. Register for FREE at Student Cash Point and see what's on offer to ease the financial burden of going to college or university.

Lawrence Atwell's Charity (The Skinners' Company) https://www.skinners.org.uk/grants-and-trusts/atwell/
Atwell is supporting young people from low-income backgrounds; to help them move into work, develop vocational qualifications, and improve their life chances. The charity does this through two main programmes of funding; our Individuals Programme and our Charities Programme.

The Princes Trust http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/
If you're trying to get into a job, training or education, but lack the funds, see if you're eligible for a Prince's Trust Development Award.

Turn2Us http://www.turn2us.org.uk/
A free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. Online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations.

Grants for Individuals.org .uk http://www.grantsforindividuals.org.uk/Default.aspx
This website contains details of over 3,500 trusts operating both nationally and locally. These trusts collectively have £362 million available each year. Prior to the launch of this website, the content has featured in A Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need and its sister publication The Educational Grants Directory. First published in 1987 and 1988 respectively, they have for many years been seen as the standard reference guide on charitable funds for individuals in need. They have been very popular with Citizens Advice, school/university welfare offices, other welfare organisations, libraries and other reference points. We aim to include all publicly-registered charities which give at least £500 a year to individuals, although most give much more than this. However it costs money to subscribe, we would suggest that you go to your local library and see if you can access it from their web-based resources.

Council for International Education www.ukcosa.org.uk
The website of the Council for International Education. It gives help and advice to prospective students from overseas. The site includes details of charitable trusts which give support international students, as well as links to other useful sites, such as the British Council.

RDInfo www.rdinfo.org.uk
Produced by Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, this site is a comprehensive digest of health-related research funding and training opportunities. Includes information on charitable trusts as well as other funding bodies and travel awards.

Charity Commission http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/find-charities/
The Charities Register is maintained from information supplied by charities and provides key facts and figures about their work and finances.

The Queen's Nursing Institute http://www.qni.org.uk/for_nurses/financial_and_personal_assistance/alternative_help
Financial Assistance for Nurses.

The British Council www.britishcouncil.org
The British Council website includes sources of funding for students, teachers, young people and adult learners.

EGAS - The Educational Grants Advisory Service www.egas-online.org
EGAS, Family Welfare Association, 501-505 Kingsland Road, London E8 4AU.
EGAS was set up to help secure funding for students, particularly those who are disadvantaged. It mainly helps students who are "taking their first steps on the educational ladder, regardless of age." They primarily assist students who cannot receive statutory funding, with priority to lone parents, the disabled, refugees, and people from under-privileged backgrounds or in exceptional circumstances. EGAS can advise on possible sources of funding. You will need to send a SAE and in return EGAS will send you an Information Form to complete.

Citizens Advice Bureau
Local Citizens Advice Bureaux provide free, confidential and impartial advice on every subject. They provide advice and information; advocacy and negotiation; and representation. They can help with most debt problems; benefit entitlement; housing and employment issues. You can find the location of your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau from your local library or in your local telephone directory.