Comms level 3 - The whole module!

sbroady

Comms level 3 - The whole module!

Postby sbroady » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi,

Sorry if I sound a little bit dumb but I am very new to this and havent studied at this level before. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them I would be grateful. Any tips and advice?

1. It says assessments should be 1500-2000 words....Is this the whole module of personal writing? The write up of research, CV, Statement etc...?

Yes it for the whole thing

2. It says keep a record of all research in a bio.... Do you have to add references in your write up? Or is it a write up of all information in your own words and then just a bio of were you found the info?

You reference everything. but you need to keep notes to meet the criteria for this particular assessment
3. To show your research I have printed papers of uni info, writing style info etc... I have highlighted through to show the info i have looked at...Do i send all this in a wallet to my tutor along with my essay, I am also keeping a bio of all websites i have researched?

Yes you do

I have emailed my tutor but there still on leave . I still dont really understand the grade descriptors but will speak to my tutor about that next week!

Yes do chat to your tutor on grade descriptors
Thanks in advance. :D

I have answered your questions in the text.

Kind regards

Karen

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Comms level 3 - The whole module!

Postby Karen Hayday » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Here is your answer.

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

ElizabethC

Postby ElizabethC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Hello

I am a little confused with the answer to the following question on this thread:

"1. It says assessments should be 1500-2000 words....Is this the whole module of personal writing? The write up of research, CV, Statement etc...?

Yes it for the whole thing "

My confusion is, if the WHOLE assessment to include write up, CV, Self Profile and Personal Statement is 1500 - 2000 words, how is this possible? The CV has to cover 2 pages so that straight away will be at least 1500 words, plus writing up of my notes (issues effecting social work, entry requirements etc..) and the positives and negatives at 200 words each?? I am awfully confused.

In addition to that the personal statement in this assessment is set at no more than 4000 words so must be separate to the rest of the Personal Writing module?

Seems Ive got in a bit of a pickle.

Can someone please clarify?

Thank you :-)

Possibly time to rest ones little brain for tonight :-/

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 am

Sorry I have just seen this post and by now i am sure that you have spoken to your tutor.

Best wishes

Karen
DLC Executive Director

charlottea94

Postby charlottea94 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:54 pm

I am feeling exactly the same! I have already written 500 words for my first essay excluding pros and cons, and am really stuck! For the research I have just copied and pasted from web pages and highlighted the parts relevant to me - and made notes from a YouTube clip and a highlighted through a section from an online teacher's magazine, then in the essay written up the roles and responsibilities, entry requirements, personal qualities and potential career pathways for a primary teacher using this research. I really really want a distinction so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Yvonne Otter
Head of level 2 and GCSE equivalences

Postby Yvonne Otter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi,

To achieve higher grades in this module you need to make sure that you refer to your research including citations in your work. You also need to be taking an evaluative rather than a descriptive approach to your work. You need to make sure you fully proof read your work to eliminate spelling and grammar issues and you need to make sure you reference your work correctly.
Write as though you were writing for an admissions tutor, so with a fairly formal style using the 3rd person for most of the writing. Regarding the personal statement please bear in mind that it is 4000 characters not words.

Hopefully this helps you,

Yvonne

Return to “course materials”