Appeal a grade

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
leesh

Appeal a grade

Postby leesh » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi any help will be appreciated

I just want to say I literally put blood sweat and tears into an assignment and followed all the advice,guidelines and textbooks (even purchased a new one for £40 just to help me secure a distinction) I honestly went above and beyond to read around the subject and thoroughly research into everything.
Unfortunatley I received an awful shock as I was graded with a merit and a couple of TAQ's was apparently seen as incorrect since they were 'worded incorrectly' both the other TAQ's were very good to excellent.
After all this hard work and feeling as though I genuinely achieved a distinction (one big leap to making my university dreams come true) but this shock has led me to really believe that a grade appeal should be carried out.

I'm really not sure how to go about this as my tutor was on annual leave and still is but before she left she advised to read the handbook - the hand book states that it must be done within 5 working days , :( but because of several issues with wifi,emails and general health issues I just have not had chance to send the whole appeal off and now i'm so worried and heartbroken that all this hard work has gone down the drain and it is a big unit too (worth 6 credits) so it really is worth appealing , please please please can someone advise me on what to do now , as I did not want to send an unfair appeal either (I wanted to outline exactly what and where information was stated in my assignment and how I believe it should be at least remarked)

I look forward to hearing from somebody soon , as everything is at stake here.

Thankyou

Pam Leach

Re: Appeal a grade

Postby Pam Leach » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi,
Yes, the handbook states that in the first instance you should raise the query of your grade with your tutor within 5 working days. Since your tutor referred you to the student handbook, have you already done this?

There is also a cover tutor that you can email, who can at least record your dissatisfaction and pass on a query to your tutor for when she is back.

If more than the 5 working days has passed since it was first raised, it is still worthwhile booking a call with your tutor for an explanation of why the assessment was given the grade it was. In order to achieve a distinction the feedback has to indicate excellent for the majority of the assessment. It important to read the feedback on every assessment criterion as well as that for the grade descriptors.
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

leesh

Postby leesh » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Yes I read the handbook and after today it will be officially 10 days since being informed about my grade.

I have discussed with my tutor who has simply informed me to appeal if I feel the need.

Is there anything else which I can do at this stage ? anyone I can speak to or contact regarding this matter?

Also just to add majority of the assessment was very good to excellent.

just that apparently some information did not sound well or make sense to the tutor.

thankyou for the reply.

Pam Leach

Postby Pam Leach » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:22 am

Hi,
If you want to appeal, them please ensure that you have emailed your tutor. It is then up to your tutor whether the query before she went on leave counts as the initial notification.
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

leesh

Postby leesh » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi Pam

I emailed my tutor requesting it to be remarked before she went on annual leave not sure whether the actual email will suffice but she is still on annual leave hence she won't receive my email as of now.

i'm very worried and my confidence has been knocked severely just not sure whether I can continue with the course even after investing so much time energy and money into this.

not sure what to do at this point.

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:30 pm

I really would not look at it this way, wait until your tutor gets back and have a chat about a remark if that is what you want. But to be completely honest a Merit is a very good grade and it will give you a profile that will help you gain a university offer.
Karen
DLC Executive Director

leesh

Postby leesh » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi Karen

I actually hold a university offer already and distinctions are required.

But I hope things get sorted soon.

Thankyou

Return to “Biology Chemistry and Physics”