Biology: Practical investigation

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Lauzza175

Biology: Practical investigation

Postby Lauzza175 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Please can someone help me. I have carries out the investigation, i have results and have even attempted the SD. However, now that it comes to the table and especially the graph i am completely lost!!!
Please help me! I do have a tutorial booked for tomorrow morning but i really do not want to waste another night. :pray:

Rebecca Smith

Re: Biology: Practical investigation

Postby Rebecca Smith » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:24 am

Hi

Sorry I have only just seen your message - you say you have a tutorial today so your tutor should be able to help and talk with you specifically about your results - good luck!

Lauzza175

Postby Lauzza175 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:04 pm

So i have had my tutorial which was very helpful with the previous question and he explained everything in great detail, but from what my tutor has explained compared to referring back to the materials, i can honestly say i am stuck! with the treatment of results, am i right in saying that there is more tables to create and working out degrees of freedom to then create another table? i am so confused right now i do not feel like i am making progress what so ever!
I dont want to keep pestering my tutor because i would imagine i am becoming frustrating :thumbdown: but i just do not know what to do.

Rebecca Smith

Postby Rebecca Smith » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 am

Hi
It sounds like you are up to doing the statistical test - will give you some help with this but do please post again if this is not what you need!
When you analyse results you are trying to see which of the hypotheses is correct - the alternate or null (as they can't both be correct). As these hypotheses talk about significant differences it is not always possible to tell if the differences are significant from graphs or means - so we need to use a statistical test.
By far the easiest way of doing this is to enter your data into an on line calculator - I have pasted a link to one below - this works things out for you - tells you your significance level and which hypothesis should be accepted / rejected. This saves you having to do further tables and work out df for instance. To show evidence that you have done a statistical test you can take a screen shot of the results from the calculator and put this into your appendices

Good luck - keep going!
https://www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs/ttest1.cfm

Return to “Biology Chemistry and Physics”