Really confused and struggling

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
leesh

Really confused and struggling

Postby leesh » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi everyone so far I have achieved 2 distinctions and a merit

the university I have been offered a place at wants 45 distinctions :shock:
I have been using the podcasts and extra guidance sheets to assist me with achieving the distinctions as well as thorough research.

However the macromolecules and key biological principles is worrying me a lot as I simply have no guidance on how to achieve a distinction and I really cannot afford any slip ups I have conducted thorough research and understood the topics but theres so much crucial information but not enough word count i'm afraid which makes me fear that I won't achieve a distinction on this - even though I really like this topic compared to the rest!

For example

TAQ 1 on Mendels laws - not sure where I am going with this aside from drawing punnet diagramS How to I secure a distinctio

TAQ 2 Part 2 - not sure which lines to go on as there are many explanations as for instance what is in the DLC materials is not in my research materials and vice versa so just really confused now ... :| what must I do to achieve a distinction? what are the important pieces of info to include

TAQ 2 Part three again very confused

Also the 600 word one TAQ 3 Part 2b

I really hope someone can help me i'm super stressed of the unknown just don't know what I am being asked for this one as there isnt a podcast etc either?
thankyou

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: Really confused and struggling

Postby Rhia Hayday » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi - I'm sending your message onto the curriculum leader for Biology so she can get back to you about this.
Curriculum Manager

Pam Leach

Postby Pam Leach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi,
First of all I recommend that you book a tutorial with your tutor, as this is quite a challenging unit.

TAQ 1 part 1:The question asks you about the three laws of inheritance, these need to be clearly explained with reference to Mendel's work.

TAQ 2 There are 4 parts to this question, and these are very specific. DLC materials ae very good here. An A level text book is a valuable resource in this unit, as it is aimed at the correct level of complexity for you. We recommend the Collins one: Collins Advanced Science-Biology by Mike Boyle 2008 and Kathryn Senior. If you just research online then there are websites that are not complex enough, and others that are to complex and may confuse you further.

TAQ 3 : Respiration, it is best here to take the steps of aerobic respiration one paragraph at a time. What are the key stages? What are the reagents and the key products of each stage? Where in the cell does each stage happen? How much ATP is produced at each stage?

Dont' forget to proof read your work very carefulyt. Read it out aloud, it really helps to slow down the reading. Ask yourself "does it really make sense?" The explanations should be clear.

Best wishes for a successful outcome.
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

leesh

Postby leesh » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:30 pm

I have had a tutorial on this on the past but unfortunately it didnt help much,

thankyou so much on the information

So would that mean for TAQ 2 I would need to include the DNA topimerase etc? and hydrogen bonds?

Pam Leach

Postby Pam Leach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi,
Yes that is correct.

Now that you are part way through the assessment another tutorial may help you.

leesh

Postby leesh » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Thankyou so much - regarding that book its out of stock on amazon and i've been to every library and book shop in my county looking for it :doh: nobody has it is there anyone/past student etc willing to sell me theirs?

In fact I need it very soon so not sure if this is even possible :oops:

Pam Leach

Postby Pam Leach » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:07 pm

I have just seen it for sale - a used one and a new one on Amazon UK

Collins Advanced Science – Biology: New for the 2008 specification, accessible and comprehensive support for AS and A2 Biology all in one book for all major exam boards Paperback – 20 May 2008
by Mike Boyle (Author), Kathryn Senior (Author)
4.6 out of 5 stars 92 customer reviews
See all 9 formats and editions
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Advanc ... 0007267452

leesh

Postby leesh » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi thankyou - I do actually need it today as my deadline for my last biology module is today (typical) :violin:

but I do have this exact same book - the HUMAN BIOLOGY one though - is that any good?

Pam Leach

Postby Pam Leach » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:05 pm

I don't know about the Human Biology book, if it doesn't help then you had better request an extension from your tutor.

leesh

Postby leesh » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Its not possible to ask for an extension as I sat my exam as had time off work to sit it therefore had to take it. :(

Return to “Biology Chemistry and Physics”