BSc Physiotherapy 2020

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Kaowin

BSc Physiotherapy 2020

Postby Kaowin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi guys - first time poster considering Physiotherapy in 2020 as a mature student (I'm 35 - eek!)

I need to take the Access to HE Diploma as I have no Sciences since my B's at GCSE many moons ago!

I would look to go to Essex Uni and although I'm waiting for them to get back to me, I see there are 6 options for Access to Physiotherapy courses!

Based on their requirements (https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/ug00339 ... siotherapy), what are your thoughts on the best course?

They've advised that I need at least 12 credits in Human Biology, and the rest can be made up from my own choice, but I want to give myself the best chance for the degree and the future. I see that there are modules which cover multiples of 2/3 'standard' sciences, where the allied health options are based around human biology and psychology which might be more helpful on the basis that I would deal with people and have less need for chemistry and physics?

Thoughts?

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: BSc Physiotherapy 2020

Postby Karen Hayday » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 am

Hi Kaowin,
If you have not done any science for a long time and they do not ask for it I would not go down the Access to science route as the Chemistry and Physics at level 3 is very hard. I would take the Allied Health version as they do ask for the abilty to understand and work with your patients. If you are still not sure then e-mail student services to discuss your options and also do take into account what Essex advises and do keep any e-mails you get from universities just in case they change their entry requirements later. Don't forget they want Maths and English GCSE or functonal skills as well as your sciences as part of their entry requirements.
Best wishes
Karen
DLC Executive Director

Pam Leach

Re: BSc Physiotherapy 2020

Postby Pam Leach » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:20 am

Hi,
We have two courses that would be suitable for access to Physiotherapy degree course:
Allied Health Option 2 - it has 33 credits of Biology and 18 credits of Psychology.
The other course is a Science course: 30 credits in Biology and 21 in Physics, although you could take one of the other options in Science.

I hope that helps.
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

Return to “Biology Chemistry and Physics”