Planning a research project

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
KirstyM

Planning a research project

Postby KirstyM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi,
I have been given this unit today and am really struggling to get started with the first part of TAQ 1.
Any help would be greatly received! Do I have to discuss previous research carried out in both topics before deciding on a title for instance? I'm sure its really straight forward but the wording on some of the questions is so confusing.

Thank you

Zoe Reddin
DLC Staff

Re: Planning a research project

Postby Zoe Reddin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:03 am

Hi Kirsty,
You need to select a topic first, and then carry out your research into it (just as you would for any assessment), and then include your sources and notes in the table. This will then provide you with the information you need for the written piece. For this unit I would suggest that you arrange a tutorial.
Zoe

KirstyM

Postby KirstyM » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 pm

Thank you Zoe...you have already made more sense than the reply from my tutor.
How many sources should I be looking at and do the links to the sources need to be included in the word count?

KirstyM

Postby KirstyM » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Thank you Zoe...you have already made more sense than the reply from my tutor.
How many sources should I be looking at and do the links to the sources need to be included in the word count?

Zoe Reddin
DLC Staff

Postby Zoe Reddin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi Kirsty,
The table isn't included, so it is just the written piece that you complete after doing your research that is counted in the word limit. We can't really say how many sources you should use as there isn't a set amount, but it should be enough for you to get a good understanding of the topic and be able to gather enough information to write about the topic.
Zoe

KirstyM

Postby KirstyM » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 pm

Thank you for letting me know.
It seems a lot of students are struggling with this one-it really isn't clear enough at all. I think more clarity about the word count would help and just more detail in general as I seem to have wasted 4 evenings trying to work out what is expected and it's still not clear enough for me to complete it this weekend.
Maybe a podcast would help.
I have arranged a tutorial but my tutor isn't available until next Monday and Tuesday so the weekend may be wasted too. It's very frustrating when there are deadlines.
Sorry to moan-the majority of units are well structured but this one, which I understand is straight forward 'once you know how' is not easy to get your head round.
I'll plod on and maybe it will become clear-Thank goodness for deadline extensions.

KirstyM

Postby KirstyM » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 am

Hi Zoe,

Could you please tell me whether on TAQ 1a, the heading 'what previous research has been conducted.....' is just a heading or are we supposed to answer this (there is no answer box beside it)....underneath is space for sources etc.
I haven't added anything here as the box only appears if you double click and disappears when you click off so I have assumed its just a heading.
Could this be an error with the TAQ answer sheet?
I don't want to leave it and be penalised for missing a question but equally, don't want to use up some of my word count unnecessarily.
Many thanks

Kirsty

Zoe Reddin
DLC Staff

Postby Zoe Reddin » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi Kirsty,
It's just the header for the table, so you don't need to add any boxes.
Zoe

Niccishelton

Postby Niccishelton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am

Can anybody help me with planning a research project I have written my mini essay and I just don’t have a clue what to do next please help

Zoe Reddin
DLC Staff

Postby Zoe Reddin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi Nicci,
If you haven't already done so, arrange a tutorial with your tutor so that you can go through the requirements of the assessment; it's usually easier to discuss this unit on the phone than using emails, however if you have already created an aim, you can email it to your tutor so they can check that it is achievable.

Zoe

vedika

Postby vedika » Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 am

Thank you for the information.
It really helped me a lot for understanding the project in deatil.

Lauzza175

Postby Lauzza175 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:45 pm

HI
I am about to start this assessment and I have read through it over 4 times now and still not a clue what I am supposed to be doing. I am booked in for a tutorial tomorrow but I really want to crack on. Any pointers would be great please. My title is to do with implications of Poverty.
What is the whole 'previous research' box about? I have filled in the box for TAQ1b but not a clue with TAQ1a?? thanks in advance.

Zoe Reddin
DLC Staff

Postby Zoe Reddin » Mon May 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi,
Hopefully you have seen my answer in your other post, so you should be able to get started now with the research table and then you can go through the study proposal in your tutorial.
Zoe

Return to “Social Issues in Health Care”