Access to nursing - academic writing skills

New to the forums? Introduce yourself and find out how it all works.
Kloeybee

Access to nursing - academic writing skills

Postby Kloeybee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello,

I'm currently studying the access to nursing course and I'm answering the academic writing skills question - Ethics of restraint for mental illness.

I thought I would breeze through this, always been good at writing essays, top marks in English at school. However, I think because I've been out of school for so long I've lost the knack.

I have to write an introduction and my mind has gone blank, I don't know how to start it, what to include..?

any tips or help would be much appreciated as I'm really, really struggling!

Thankyou,
Kloey x

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: Access to nursing - academic writing skills

Postby Rhia Hayday » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi Kloey

Starting an essay can be so tricky, so don't worry at all! Here are some ideas to help get you started:

Introduction: Explanations of the key terms: restraint, ethics/ethical theory and mental illness - setting up the info and facts so that you can get to the nitty-gritty in your main body

Main Body (in approx 3 paragraphs - I'd recommend covering the points below, but you don't have to do them in this order, or you can mix them up. You can also use a case study to elaborate your ideas):

* Examine both sides of the argument (pros and cons)

* Consider why restraint is used (to protect the patient, to protect others)

* Consider if restraint right or wrong (is it ALWAYS right, or ALWAYS wrong, or does it depend on the circumstances? How is this judged? Can it be judged ethically in the heat of the moment? Is it the 'most loving thing to do' (Situation ethics)? Or the 'greatest good for the greatest number' (utilitarianism)?

* Consider what the ethical theory (you can look at just one) would advocate

Conclusion: Rounding up the main points from the essay and showing how the essay has answered the question

Let me know if this helps or not! And remember that you can send your tutor your plan to have a look at - they'll be able to give some pointers, confirm you're on the right track or advise on other approaches to take
Curriculum Manager

Return to “Welcome Room”