Planning a research project. Social issues In healthcare

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
marie155

Planning a research project. Social issues In healthcare

Postby marie155 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Has anyone got any pointers. Just had a tutorial and it's still seems fuzzy.
The aim is ethnically inequalities within employment in the health services.
Any help would be appreciated.

Rebecca Smith

Re: Planning a research project. Social issues In healthcare

Postby Rebecca Smith » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:58 am

Hi
A good first step to help clarify things can be to actually try to do a small scale content analysis. What sources are you analysing the content of? Where are you going to get information about employment in the NHS and the ethic groups of those employed? This should be a written source of infomation or can be TV programmes for instance (although that wouldn't be approriate here)
Once you have identified sources then start to try to categorise some data on the ethnic groups on a small scale which will hopefully give you ideas about how the content analysis should be conducted
Good luck!

marie155

Postby marie155 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Actually I've been told to use television as my content analysis.

Rebecca Smith

Postby Rebecca Smith » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi
I saw your tutor at the staff meeting today and as you are looking at the portrayal of NHS employees in the media TV programmes are great - from your original post it looked like you were looking at the enthicities of real NHS staff! Sorry for any confusion - do make sure that you mention in your title that it is the portrayal in TV programmes you are looking at :)

marie155

Postby marie155 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:37 pm

I thought it was real nhs staff I was doing. I'm so confused with this unit. :eh: :eh:

Rebecca Smith

Postby Rebecca Smith » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:31 am

Hi

Your tutors advice on using TV programmes is great as you would not be able to access this information for real NHS employees for confidentiality reasons (unless you again used TV programmes but those that are documentaries rather than dramas). It does sound like another tutorial may be a good idea, and whilst this is being arranged you could watch some TV programmes (thinking about whether you want real or fictional NHS staff) and trying to develop some coding categories as you watch the programmes

Lauzza175

Postby Lauzza175 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:21 pm

HI
I am about to start this assessment and I have read through it over 4 times now and still not a clue what I am supposed to be doing. I am booked in for a tutorial tomorrow but I really want to crack on. Any pointers would be great please. My title is to do with implications of Poverty.
What is the whole 'previous research' box about? I have filled in the box for TAQ1b but not a clue with TAQ1a?? thanks in advance.

Zoe Reddin
DLC Staff

Postby Zoe Reddin » Mon May 27, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi,
Hopefully you've seen my answer on your other post which should help to clarify what you need to do with the research table.
Zoe

Return to “Social Issues in Health Care”