Ethics in Restraint Essay

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
LukeCraker

Ethics in Restraint Essay

Postby LukeCraker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi all, recently joined DLC to study the access to paramedicine part.
I am currently on the Academic Writing Skills part of the course and am having trouble with the essay.

I am writing the essay on the ethics surrounding restraint in mental health patients but have been out of education for a while and cannot remember the last time i wrote an essay....

I have no idea where to start... I have attempted to research and cannot find suitable resources. I am also having trouble planning the essay... structure content etc.

Any tips/help would be much appreciated.

jolerrs

Re: Ethics in Restraint Essay

Postby jolerrs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi Luke. I am writing it at the moment also. Actually due to submit today.

Have you read ALL the materials provided, and suggested, on the Distance Learning website? Under Study Skills there is 'how to plan' and 'How to write an essay'. I suggest you start there. Print them out, digest them, then use the 'how to plan' document to help your planning.

Do a lot of reading on the subject, and give yourself plenty of time. I found it quite time consuming as essay writing was never a strong point.

Good luck!

Karen

Postby Karen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:20 am

Hi Luke

I've not completed this particular module but I have just been looking on the Forum and found a post you might find useful...

This was posted by a student (Nicole87)

The easiest thing to do is only choose two ethical theories and then utilise those theories within a case study (I used the one provided in the reading material) saying how the theories can be applied to the scenario. Does it make restraint ok? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each theory?

You can use the two theories provided within the reading material if you like.

I chose to do normative ethics which is used in nursing a lot as they base their principles on it.

Here are a few links which I hope helps. Look at the references that the journal use and see if you can then find further resources that way to support your work.

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/kabe ... eories.htm.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/Journals/20 ... ts_NEW.pdf.

I hope this answers your questions.

Karen
Believe you can and you're halfway there :dance:

Received an offer for Forensic Psychology (2017) :D

LukeCraker

Postby LukeCraker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice! Have so far written the first half of the essay, just need to link the theories to a case study. Decided to use the bennett study but i am struggling with how to link the theories to the case study. Using utilitarianism and kankian theories but not sure how i could write the paragraph to link the theories to the case study.

Any help?

Luke

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Postby Rhia Hayday » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 am

HI Luke - discuss how the actions that were taken against Bennett fitted in (or not) with Utilitarianism. Was it the greatest good for the greatest number? How would this have been assessed?
With Kant, look at whether restraint in this case was intended to do 'good'? No action is 'good' without the intention of goodness being there. If you can see evidence that restraint is conducted in a way that is there to protect and as a means of looking after somebody, then the consequence is almost irrelevant.
Eg imagine that I take my dog to the vets to be vaccinated. This is a positive act with good intentions: I am spending my money to ensure that my dog doesn't get a terrible disease. But at the vets my dog gets bitten by a rabid monkey and becomes infected with rabies. My dog has to be put down to protect the wider community. This is an awful result, but my action of taking it there in the first place wasn't unethical. This is because the intention wasn't that my dog would die.
If the intention is always good, then the consequences aren't unethical. What you need to do, is assess if what happened to Bennett was unethical: did the medical staff restrain him with good intentions, or not? And how do we assess what somebody's intentions are?
Curriculum Manager

LukeCraker

Postby LukeCraker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:43 pm

I am really stuck on Kantian Ethics and how to link this to the Bennett case study. Im nearly done with my essay but have hit a hurdle with this section.

Anyone done this essay and would be able to help at all?

Luke

maxi164

Postby maxi164 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi,

New to this forum, been reading some great comments a feedback, so I hoping someone can help with mine.

I am currently on the planning stage for the Ethic of Restraint on a Patient with Mental Illness, so far :wtf: I am beyond mind blank!

I am trying the mind map process to help with my essay, has anyone else felt confused by this particular TAQ? :crazy: :?

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Hello,

Although I have not completed this particular question as part of your studies, I do work with patients where sometimes ethics and legislation have to be applied to my practice in order to make decisions with regards to healthcare/reasonable restraint/section orders. Have a look at the following UK government legislation which may give you more of an idea of what to talk about in terms of mental health, mental capacity and what is deemed as 'restraint' and/or a section order.

Mental Capacity Act 2005 --> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/9/contents
Mental Health Act 1983 --> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/20/contents

Hope this helps,

:thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

maxi164

Postby maxi164 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:02 pm

PPoskitt wrote:Hello,

Although I have not completed this particular question as part of your studies, I do work with patients where sometimes ethics and legislation have to be applied to my practice in order to make decisions with regards to healthcare/reasonable restraint/section orders. Have a look at the following UK government legislation which may give you more of an idea of what to talk about in terms of mental health, mental capacity and what is deemed as 'restraint' and/or a section order.

Mental Capacity Act 2005 --> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/9/contents
Mental Health Act 1983 --> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/20/contents

Hope this helps,

:thumbup:

Hi thank you for the feedback, I will have a look at the links. Since my post I have found some other resources through this forum. Massive help. :thumbup:

RuthB

Postby RuthB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi - I'm at the same point as you! Just wanted to agree with you that this forum is really helpful and I'm also glad that it's not just me who is experiencing a total blank. I'm basically going to pick two theories and then immerse myself in reading.

Good luck!

Ruth x

maxi164 wrote:Hi,

New to this forum, been reading some great comments a feedback, so I hoping someone can help with mine.

I am currently on the planning stage for the Ethic of Restraint on a Patient with Mental Illness, so far :wtf: I am beyond mind blank!

I am trying the mind map process to help with my essay, has anyone else felt confused by this particular TAQ? :crazy: :?
Onwards and upwards! :thumbup: [color=#000000][color=#0000BF][/color][/color]

Bane Harper

Postby Bane Harper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi Luke, start with the provided materials, brainstorm ideas, research the web, prepare bullet pointers and you certainly have lot of material in hand to draft a good essay.

ben

Postby ben » Sun May 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi guys,

I've been given the passwords for this section but i can't seem to access the assessment questions, I've emailed my tutor but as its a bank holiday I'm not likely to get a response...

can any share the actual assessment questions please?
Ive already got the answer sheet i just need to know what I'm supposed to write my essay on?

thanks in advance for anyones help.

Ben

AliceB95

Postby AliceB95 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Hey! I know this post is a little bit old now but I was just wondering, I've written my essay, its taken me all day to research and write it and i'm still not even sure if its completely answered the question! i'm stuck on the conclusion, should I write my opinion if after my research I think its ethical to use restraints? as it doesn't ask for my opinion in the question so far I've been unbiased and just stated the facts.
Thanks!

nicky leeth

Postby nicky leeth » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi there
First start with the key words that we are looking for in the essay - go to your title
underline the words- that is TAQ1: those words set the scene: Ethics , Treatment . mental health , Restraint
Second - start researching the ideas - what is restraint - what do we mean by ethics -Have a look at page 12 of your materials booklet are there 2 ethical theories in this section , you could use those in the essay -restraint when treating people with mental health issues- could you look at the case study of Rocky Benet - what happened to him ? What do the mental health charity MIND say about restraint?
Third : Now you have some great ideas , try to organise this into an essay - book in for a call (tutorial) with your tutor who will be happy to talk over your ideas and they will help you organise your ideas into a workable plan - do not struggle alone

nicky leeth

Postby nicky leeth » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Conclusion
Great to see that you have spent time on this essay . It really does pay off .
To concluded /sum up go back to the title - from the evidence that has been presented in the essay is it morally right to retrain someone who is a danger to themselves or other people? If it is right to do this are there circumstances when restraint should not be used
From our essay writing support we try to move people away from saying "in my opinion I think ..." but we would recommend the comment "from the evidence presented "

Return to “Study Skills (English and Maths Level 2 and Study Skills level 3)”