Introduction to Chemistry TAQ's

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Jord92

Introduction to Chemistry TAQ's

Postby Jord92 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi guys how are we all? I'm new to the forums but have been doing the Access to Science diploma since Mid-June this year.

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out, I've just had a referral for this unit on two questions and I am freaking out at the moment that I'm going to fail the entire course before I even get started. Feeling like a real idiot at the moment :(

I spent a lot of time trying to get my head around the two TAQ's in question and I'm really concerned I've got the complete wrong end of the stick.

I failed question 3 which was to do with drawing dot-cross diagrams to help explain the bonding present in Phosphine,Calcium Sulphide,Magnesium Bromide,Chlorine Oxide and the Ammonium Ion. I am really struggling with this question and I'm really worried that my understanding is completely wrong. I've been told by my tutor that I need to draw all of these bonds in dot and cross diagrams, and also need to identify and draw the dative bond in the final molecule. I'm completely confused as I'm not sure where I have gone wrong with my original answers and what I need to re-learn :(

I also failed question 6 which was to predict the shapes of the molecules NH3,H2O and CH4 by stating the shapes the compounds would form and then illustrating this with sketches/diagrams. My tutor has told me that I need to draw the bond angles in a conventional manner, I'm really confused as to what I've done wrong in my original answer.

I stupidly tried to draw the diagrams/sketches by Microsoft Paint rather than drawing them by hand and sketching them in so that may be what I've done wrong I guess.

Really sorry to be a nuisance but if anyone can help I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks,

Jordan

Pam Leach

Re: Introduction to Chemistry TAQ's

Postby Pam Leach » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:05 am

I recommend that you book a Skype tutorial with your tutor who can then show you on a whiteboard how to draw the diagrams.
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

carrotcruncher

Postby carrotcruncher » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:14 am

I would second Pam's advice on this one - it's not an easy thing to explain in text - much better to see it :)

jolerrs

Postby jolerrs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Further to this question - are we supposed to sketch the diagrams by hand, and then scan in and attach to the SAQ/TAQs? Or are we supposed to try to use drawing tools in word? I'm hoping we can sketch, because trying to use word to make bonding diagrams is currently driving me a little bit mad and taking 10 times longer than drawing by hand! Thanks for any advice :)

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 am

By hand and scanning them in is absolutely fine.

Best wishes
Karen
DLC Executive Director

cusejomexo

Postby cusejomexo » Sat May 11, 2019 10:53 am

Jord92 wrote:Hi guys how are we all? I'm new to the forums but have been doing the Access to Science diploma since Mid-June this year.

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out, I've just had a referral for this unit on two questions and I am freaking out at the moment that I'm going to fail the entire course before I even get started. Feeling like a real idiot at the moment :(
Thanks,

j.preece

Postby j.preece » Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 pm

The first chemistry unit can be a little daunting. My advice is to look at how the diagrams have been drawn in the reading materials as this should act as a guide to what you should produce in your assessment -eg all 3 types of dot/cross diagrams are shown ie covalent, ionic and dative (coordinate). Hand drawing chemistry structures is advised as it is easier for yourself to produce and it also avoids questions of copying from the internet.

I would definitely book a tutorial call in with your tutor so that they can explain what you have done wrong and how to correct it.

Best wishes, Janet

Return to “Biology Chemistry and Physics”