Macromolecules and key biological principles

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Pam Leach

Re: Macromolecules and key biological principles

Postby Pam Leach » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:30 am

Hi,
You are on the right track about anaerobic respiration, although the equation is missing something. Are you talking about anaerobic respiration in plants or animals? It is good if you can mention both forms.

Regarding TAQ1 part 2 a. You do need to understand what heterozygous and homozygous mean first so that you know the genotypes of the parents in the question. Then work out what gametes they will produce. You then work out the different combinations of gametes using a punnet diagram to help you.
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

Lauzza175

Postby Lauzza175 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi

I am really struggling with the final stages of this assessment from TAQ3 2a. I have already emailed my tutor yesterday and am awaiting a reply.
I have written the equation out and followed it with a paragraph but am not convinced i am correct.
I get the process but am not great with the equation side. Khan academy is too much information for me to digest. Is there any other resources or advice that anyone can help with please. I am not the brightest at Biology and this subject is very intense for me and i don't have a lot of confidence with it.
Thanks in advance.
Lauren

Pam Leach

Postby Pam Leach » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Page 41 of the DLC materials covers anaerobic respiration. Another good source is
https://www.rsc.org/Education/Teachers/ ... ration.htm. Also, if you have the Collins A level Text book, pages 142-144 discuss it very clearly.

Lauzza175

Postby Lauzza175 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 pm

I am still severely struggling with this assessment from TAQ3 part a onwards.
I have had tutorials with my tutor and if I am completely honest I have hit a brick wall as she isn’t very helpful or forth coming with answers and I am getting very frustrated and irritated now. The ridiculous rule of 1 tutorial a week and the fact that most days I have to wait 2 days before even receiving a reply which turns out being unhelpful anyway is setting me back and have now already been charged for going a month over due to work commitments and bereavements!! I haven’t had any issue throughout this course until now and my tutors have been fab, but this time I am not happy because there isn’t much support or help as there has been with previous ones!
What happens if you fail this module? I have distinctions on everything I had done throughout the year and have this module and one other then I am complete!! As I said, I have been billed already and I do not want to be billed again!

Pam Leach

Postby Pam Leach » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 am

Hi,
I am sorry for your bereavement and it does sound like it has been a very busy and stressful month for you.

To be honest, this unit is probably one of the most challenging units we have, due to the complexity of the topics included. However, tutors are limited to some extent in the guidance that we can give once the assessment code has been issued, we cannot give you the answers to the assessment, it would be giving you an unfair advantage over other students.

TAQ 3 is a complex one. That is why it is broken down into three separate parts, part a: the overview table, part b: anaerobic, and part c: aerobic respiration.

Work through the DLC materials on the topic, have a look at an A level text book or the link I quoted I the post above. If you just start googling respiration you will more than likely be faced with much greater complexity that will probably confuse you further rather than clarify the topic. Stick with level 3 sources as they are at the right level of complexity for you.

And of course, you can still request a call with your tutor, but be mindful of our limitations here.

Best wishes.

Return to “Biology Chemistry and Physics”