How long did it take you to do the access course?

Find out what happens after the course. What is it like at University? What about careers after that.
Kayleighphillips90

How long did it take you to do the access course?

Postby Kayleighphillips90 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 am

How long did it take you to finish the access course

I'm starting 1st of may access to nursing on the idea that I would apply for nursing degree sept 2014
However I work as a hca in my local hospital and have applied for a scholarship to start January 2014 on full pay :)

So i need to complete my access course before January eeeek!
I work dfull time and have a 2 yr old

Anyone done it quicker?

cathy12

Re: How long did it take you to do the access course?

Postby cathy12 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 pm

it took me three years but l had 3 breaks inbetween. l enrolled a week after l gave birth, a year and half later l had a second baby
mummy of two and aspiring social work student

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Postby Mrsjprice » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:32 pm

It took me 18 months but I had a baby in that time. I started the course when I was like 5 months pregnant x

Donna10480

Postby Donna10480 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:19 pm

It took me from September to April - It can be done... and i was working with 2 kids in tow :thumbup:

Tattie

Postby Tattie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:34 am

Wow Donna!

I've just finished in 13 months.

Really enjoyed it!

Tattie

Devira

Postby Devira » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:41 pm

I'm just about finished, just my psychology exam left (pending my last couple of modules being marked and passed off) and it's taken me 11 months. That's as a single parent with two young children, with all grades so far at distinction. Plus I took extra modules and a separate college based counselling course for the duration. It's quite do-able if you set enough time aside for it.

Roll on September to start my mental health nursing degree!!

Regards, Christine
37 year old single mum of two studying Access to Mental Health Nursing

LovelyDay

Postby LovelyDay » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi,

I started Feb last year but took a 4 month break as I was also re-sitting my math GCSE. I am in the same boat as Christine, I have completed my last assessment which is waiting to be marked and I have my Psyc exam this coming Tuesday.

So in total 9 months and it has gone sooo quickly. Keeping everything crossed for a merit or more on the last assessment which means I will be off to Liverpool John Moores to start Children's Nursing :thumbup:
Carol G :thumbup:

melmatthews3

Postby melmatthews3 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi All
I have signed up today for my maths GCSE, but also need to complete an access course before I can apply to do my midwifery degree. I work 2 days a week and have 3 children, 1 has just started school and I have twins who have just started nursery, therefore it seems a good time to commit to the studying.

Just wondering if anyone knows at what point you have to submit your nursing/midwifery application? I am aware that my local university will accept my application as long as I have completed my maths GCSE and am working towards my access course. Basically my question is, would it be unachievable to try and start my midwifery training from the next intake sept 2016? I am willing to put in as much time as possible with my studying but I have no idea when the applications close... I hope this ,a,Es sense!

Thank you
Mel :thumbup:

LovelyDay

Postby LovelyDay » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi check the ucas site for the dates that you need to submit by but you can send your application now if you're ready however, I know from last year when I submitted mine the tutor's like to have a few level 3 assessments marked before they submit the academic reference for your application.

I would say get it in as early as possible especially for the nursing and midwifery course as the spaces are like gold dust and they will start to interview early and many will offer spaces to applicants if they really want them; but don't rush your application make sure your personal statement is outstanding. I think in order to be ready for the 2016 intake you need to have completed you access course by april or may next year in order to meet moderation. It is achievable but it's just down to how much time you can spend on your access course.
Carol G :thumbup:

Return to “Ask our ex-students”