A question for current uni students...Midwifery

Find out what happens after the course. What is it like at University? What about careers after that.
tigra2903

A question for current uni students...Midwifery

Postby tigra2903 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi All,

Just a little question for those of you who have managed to get a place at University... were you offered a place first time? If not how many times did you apply before being successful? How many Universities did you apply for each year? How many interviews have you had? How many of you were given interviews but not offered a place? Did you have any previous work experience, for example voluntary work placements?

I am hoping to apply to 4 different Universities for the 2012 intake but I know competition for this course is tough. The thing that I am worried will let me down is my lack of work experience. I see some people secure voluntary work placements. I am looking into the possibility of doing this at the moment, but it is complicated as I do not live in the UK, and I plan to return after I have put in my UCAS application.

I know the selection process is based individual merit, but I am just wondering about other peoples experiences. Sorry for all the questions!

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Re: A question for current uni students...Midwifery

Postby Mrsjprice » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi there sorry this is late but I'll try and answer your questions from my personal experience.

I have applied to uni three times and been unsuccessful.

1st cycle I applied to one uni and received a interview but was unsuccessful.
2nd cycle I applied to four or fives unis (can't quite remember) and received two interviews but was unsuccessful.
3rd cycle I applied to two unis  but withdrew from one and received a interview and was unsuccessful.

Although some would probably be really annoyed or feel like giving up with the above set backs, I have found it incredibly useful. I have learnt more about midwifery and truly discovered my passion for it and have also gained slot more experience.

A unsuccessful shouldn't be looked upon as negatively but take it as a positive to improve on and expand your knowledge.

Unfortunately this course is very tough and you will need some sort of experience, you need this just to stand above the rest. It makes it very tough but also having this experience is good as it gives you an insight and can give you a glimpse of the profession.

Loldiz explains well here why unis want some sort of experience - http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2920&p=13622&hilit=Experience#p13622

I hope that helps some what.

Jade

tigra2903

Postby tigra2903 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply. To be honest I would be suprised if I got in first time, that would be far too easy! But also like you I fully intend to keep on applying each year. I am hoping to gain some work experience over the summer, but if my application is unsucessful this year I will continue to do what I can to improve my chances next time.

Good luck, well done for not giving up, I hope you are sucessful eventually :)

sestevens

Postby sestevens » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Hello both,

I am looking into an access course with a view of becoming a mature student studying Midwifery. From reading your posts, which were a while ago, I was wondering how you had both got on in entering the profession?

I hear competition is fierce and you may not get onto a course first time around. I am hoping to get some voluntary work alongside the access course and start really reading up on the profession.

I hope that you both suceeded in getting onto a course or into a role working within a Midwifery capacity! It's something I've always wanted to do, but I went for teaching thinking I had a better chance of getting into university, which I did, but realised that teaching is not really for me and maybe I should have just applied for Midwifery from the beginning!! However I feel that life experiences have helped me back to the track I feel I should be on, so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Sarah

Return to “Ask our ex-students”