Mini Multiple Interview (MMI) Experience

What is it like? How do you do it? What about interviews? What are different Universities and Colleges like?
ficrowder

Mini Multiple Interview (MMI) Experience

Postby ficrowder » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Hey,

I recently had my Adult Nursing interview, and was asked to share my experience of the day, as more universities are starting to use Mini Multiple Interviews (MMI).

It was split into 3 parts; numeracy, literacy and a MMI. On the day of the interview, there were about 30 other candidates hoping to study Adult, Mental and Children Nursing, and MWs.

Numeracy- 20 questions in 30mins
2 questions were allowed to be answered with a calculator.
The rest included questions with multiplication, long division, ratios, converting measurements and fractions, percentages and decimals. A few of the questions were scenarios; for instant ‘5mg of medication given every 3hrs, how much medication will be given over a 12hr period?’

There are some really useful YouTube videos like Mathantics and the BBC Bitesize GCSE Maths is also very handy.

Literacy- 20mins
We were asked about issues in the NHS and why it interests us. I know most of the other candidates wrote about the lack of nursing staff. I wrote about the increase of dementia and the affects it has on the patients and NHS treatment.

Make sure you look at the NMC and RCN for any updates in the nursing/MW world, and BBC News, and newspapers for any changes in healthcare and the NHS.

Multiple Mini Interview- 7mins each question
There were three booths, and in each booth was; a professional (Nurses), service user (patient, or patient's relative) and an academic (lecturer). A bell rang and we were given 7mins to read the scenario on the card in front of us, and then give our answers. Once the 7mins is done another bell rings and you move onto the next (a bit like speed dating).

The professional’s scenario was ‘You are on placement with another student on the course. Hospital staff on the unit you are working on has started to notice the others student poor attitude, and untidiness of their uniform. What do you do?’

I answered this question by talking about the Nursing Midwifery Codes and their standards on professionalism, and how patients may perceive nurses treating them. I also mentioned about talking to the other student first and asking if everything is ok or anything is troubling them and letting her know that her attitude has been mentioned. If it did not improve, then I would inform the university staff. I also mentioned my old job, wearing a uniform and making sure you had to act professional at all times.

Second booth was a service user, the scenario on the card asked; ‘you are treating a patient in A&E, they have just told you something that affects their health but has asked you not to say anything. What do you do?’

I explained patient confidentiality, the Caldicott principles, effective partnerships in the best interest of the patient, and also the NMC standards; prioritising patients and safety.

The third and final booth, was an academic; one of the nursing lecturers at the university. He literally asked me "why do you want to be a nurse, but I don’t want to hear that you care bla, bla, bla”. He also asked me about my previous job in the military, my family life especially my little boy and his childcare.

I strongly suggest other potential nurses and MWs have a think about why you want to be in that chosen career, what benefits will it bring to your lives, what do you want to achieve in your careers? Don’t be afraid to be too honest, they will appreciate that. Any previous medical experience and how it made you feel or how did you act might also help you answer that question. If you have a family, tell them the plans you have sorted for childcare, and a backup plan if needed, universities like to see you have prepared yourself for becoming a student and a nurse/MW. Doing a distance learning course will make you look good, and they may ask you how you are balancing studying and life.

I managed to answer my question before the 7mins and was able to have a chat to the interviewers, it was a chance to feel a little bit more relax, show the interviewer a bit of my personality and even ask them questions (always good to think of some questions to ask).

I was offered a conditional place the next morning. Don’t worry if you don’t get offered anything straight away, I know some uni’s are waiting until they have seen all the candidates.

I found most of my information from the internet, YouTube has a lot of info in regards to interview techniques and most universities will have videos on there on what to expect on the day. A blog I had found called Big City Little Nurse is full of really useful information and tips from a mature student nurse who has gone through the process and has experienced many different interview days.

I know everyone’s day will be slightly different, but hope this helps and good luck! :thumbup:

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Mini Multiple Interview (MMI) Experience

Postby Karen Hayday » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 am

This is a brilliant post and thank you so much for spending the time writing this to help everyone else. It was also really interesting and informative. Finally, congratulations :handgestures-salute:on being given a conditional place and really good luck in your studies.

The very best for your future

Karen :greetings-wavegreen:
DLC Executive Director

Mikelnut

Re: Mini Multiple Interview (MMI) Experience

Postby Mikelnut » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks for the good experience, it helped me a lot. I will take it to learn.

Return to “Applying to Universities and HEIs”