Child Poverty

If you are studying English GCSE Equivalence then this forum is for you to use for help and support
laurchee78

Child Poverty

Postby laurchee78 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I have just started the Child Poverty essay.

I have been trying to follow it step by step (which I kinda think is a tad long winded and confusing form me). However, I am up to the part 2a 'Read the research resources overleaf that seem relevant to the essay title and to the points you wish to cover in your essay. 2b 'Make systematic notes on your research, and use a variety of visual techniques as outlined above to aid your understanding and retention of the information you discover'

Please can someone put this in simple terms for me?

Does it mean look at the research provided and make notes of the research?
What does it mean by use a variety of visual techniques outlined above to aid your understanding and retention of the information you discover?
Do you have to use the research provided, or can you use the internet to find your own research and or use a variety of both?

Thank you in advance
Laura

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: Child Poverty

Postby Rhia Hayday » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Laura

It might seem a little long winded, but this is to ensure that you meet all of the criteria for a pass, and know exactly how to write an essay for the rest of the Diploma. Bear with it. In answer to your questions:

Does it mean look at the research provided and make notes of the research?
Yes. There are lots of sources though and you don't have to look/ make notes on all of them.

What does it mean by use a variety of visual techniques outlined above to aid your understanding and retention of the information you discover?
If you look at the previous information, it explains how to make notes and revise the information. This is spider diagrams, mind maps, using colour to underline, highlighters, structured notes etc.

Do you have to use the research provided, or can you use the internet to find your own research and or use a variety of both?
There's very little reason why you'd want/need to use your own research. There is so much listed to make it easier for you. It's all in Harvard, so you don't need to worry about referencing, and there are simple through to complex resources, all valid and reliable. However, yes, you can use your own sources if you like. But do realise that the hard work of finding sources and trawling through tons of research to find useful and relevant pieces of work has already been done for you.

Best of luck
Rhia
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Postby laurchee78 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Rhia,

Thank you once again for your help.

With the visual techniques etc, do you have to do this, i.e. submit this for marking?

Many Thanks
Laura

Rhia Hayday

Postby Rhia Hayday » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:09 pm

You have to show that you have planned and drafted, and using mindmaps etc to evidence this would be good practice - so yes, to some extent
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Postby laurchee78 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi,

Do you know on the 'Essay Map' can you use the same 'main ideas' as what is used in the example provided.

I am finding this quite challenging.
I have done the research and wrote down notes, which I didn't find too challenging, but all this other niggling stuff I'm finding quite challenging.

I am losing the plot.....not sure what it is that I am required to do, and what I am required to send in for marking.
I am finding there is alot of information, and I just can't take this all in :-/ I just need things in simple terms

Any tips and advice would be really great, for someone like me, who could actually do with a dummies guide

Thanks for your help
Laura

Rhia Hayday

Postby Rhia Hayday » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Laura

In your submission you should include:

TAQ1 - the essay:
  • 1c - your answer to this (page 11)
  • 1f - your answer to this (page 12)
  • 1h - your answer to this (page 12)
  • 2b - notes on your research. Present them however you want/have found useful (page 15)
  • 3b - your essay map (example on page 16, question/task on page 17). Yes you can use what has been written here, but you MUST expand on it. You have to show that you have developed a detailed plan
  • 4a - draft your introduction (at least)
  • 4b - show development from your draft to the final introduction (one of the criteria is to show drafts and development of your writing, which is why you have to draft the introduction. If you want to draft more, and include in your submission this is absolutely fine. The only reason you're only instructed to draft the introduction, is because not everybody would find drafting the whole essay useful) and then write the rest of your essay
  • 6b - 2 examples of how your writing developed (page 21)
  • 6c - explanation of why this is important (page 21)
  • Then fill in your criteria sheet, and it's done

TAQ2 - the letter (page 6)
  • 1. letter
  • 2. response to the letter

TAQ3 - literary techniques (page 7)
  • 1. question on imagery
  • 2. question on irony and juxtoposition
  • 3. question on anecdote

Does this help? If you look at the assessment, you'll see that all of these questions I've listed are highlighted in yellow. In future, if there's anything in yellow, you should do it. Really hope this helps to clear up any confusion!!
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Postby laurchee78 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi Rhia,

Thank you. You have been very helpful once again. I very much appreciate it.

You have simplified it for me which is what I like. I think if I didn't have a deadline that is always at the forefront of my mind to worry about, I would probably be able to figure all this out for myself.

I just haven't done anything like this before. Obviously, when I was at school, I was in class with a teacher, and anything I didn't understand, I would ask there and then or ask another pupil. This is all a new way of learning for me.

Hopefully, it will all work out

Laura:-)

Rhia Hayday

Postby Rhia Hayday » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:40 pm

no problem at all Laura, glad I've been able to help.
You might not be in a classroom, but you still have a teacher - make sure that you use your tutor like you would your teacher - it's what they are there for! (but of course, we are here on the forum too!)
And don't let a deadline cause you stress - just ask for an extension if you need one. Knowing you have an extra couple of days could help a lot.
Hope you manage to fly through this assessment now, and fire away if there's anything else
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Postby laurchee78 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi,

I am still doing Child Poverty unit, and I am up to TAQ2, where you have to imagine you are the head of a children's charity. I am struggling with this too. I am trying to come up with what to write when introducing my charity. (Talk about having to be creative.....this just isn't me lol :lol: )

Any tips and or advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance

Laura

Return to “English”