TAQ 1 - Short Report

lauralouuu

TAQ 1 - Short Report

Postby lauralouuu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:25 am

Hi all,

I am getting myself all worked up about this report and I cannot seem to get myself going on it!

I've spoken to my tutor and he has told me that it needs to be about 1000 words and in 3rd person. I'm doing it in a non-experimental report format as in the course materials but I just cannot get started! I've done the introduction and made a table up to input at some point with some info i've found out but i cannot get any further and i'm stressing myself thinking i've still got to get this sorted before i can move on and even THINK about the essay in the assessment! I have a feeling i'll be behind on my learning plan too! The first paragraph is the hardest part for me, everything i think of to write i have already covered in my intro!

If anyone has got any tips on how i could open the main body of the report and how to split up the subjects I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance guys!

Lxx

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: TAQ 1 - Short Report

Postby Rhia Hayday » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Think about what you want from a university, and discuss those. Distance from your house, facilities, links with hospitals/schools (depending on your career), child care, parking, public transport, reputation, success in getting a job straight from uni etc.

Explain why these are important to you, and compare across 2 or more unis. Using a table is excellent practice. Justify your thoughts.

Don't get swamped down in the length - write as much as is appropriate, but don't go repeating yourself or writing drivel just to reach a 1000 words - it's a short report and should therefore be around that, but nothing's set in stone. The quality of the content over the length please, and just don't go mental and go over a 1000 words (although at this moment in time I think that's the last thing you think will happen!)
Curriculum Manager

lauralouuu

Postby lauralouuu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure i'm just getting myself worked up for no reason. I'm just finding it hard to write it in 3rd person especially - must try harder i think!

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Postby Rhia Hayday » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Although level 3 reports should be written in the third person, it's not a massive issue if you write in the first person - after all it's what you want from a uni. However, if you want to write in the 3rd person, then you would say things like:

It is proposed that the most suitable university for an entrant who wants to study Nursing in the South West area is UWE.

And then continue like that. Hope this makes it easier for you - don't over think Comms, just make sure you have decent research and evaluative writing and you'll be fine :)
Curriculum Manager

Return to “course materials”