Layout of comms

LisaM

Layout of comms

Postby LisaM » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi all!
Just reading through some previous posts and I am slightly confused :-/
Has the layout of comms changed recently or is there still problems with it?
I have just finished reading the materials and doing the exercises for the materials, just waiting
On codes for the assignments. The exercises in the materials are they used in the assignments?
Getting a bit apprehensive of this module as it seems it can come across as quite confusing.
Maybe it will all become clear to me once I see the assignments, but I just thought I would ask.

Lisa :-)

Marielouise04

Re: Layout of comms

Postby Marielouise04 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 pm

I am more confused having seen the assignments!
You do use the TAQ's as part of assessment 1.

However, the questions are so confusing, I'm honestly not sure what they want! A mind reader?!

LisaM

Postby LisaM » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi Marie louise,
I think in some of these assignments there can be a less confusing way of wording things, like in the 1st eng assignment I don't think there was any need to include a picture of a painting, I think it just seriously confused people. Why they could not jus say write a creative piece of writing based on blah blah would have made much more sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm sure there is a more understandable way of wording assignments in order to avoid all this confusion. Hopefully I will get code for assignment tomorrow and maybe I can shed some light, fingers crossed!

Lisa :-/

LisaM

Postby LisaM » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Ok....so ive read the comms assignment and what im getting from it is: write a factual report style essay and include all the prep; ie the notes from the resources, the plan of the body of the essay and the research. I think the essay is supposed to have the info you've gathered along the way (the activities) plus all your own research findings. I think the structure of it is an argument of for and against, and then coming to the conclusion of whatever evidence you have. Hope that makes some sense, eyes are banging together right now :-)
Also don't forget to include biblography and references!!
Lisa

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Postby Rhia Hayday » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Lisa - it shouldn't be a report style essay - it should be an essay. So no lists, no graphs or charts, no pictures. Full sentences, references, evaluative writing. Don't regurgitate, but create an argument answering the question.

Nobody should be worrying about how to lay out Communications, because you can ask your tutor those sorts of questions!
Curriculum Manager

LisaM

Postby LisaM » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:18 am

Hi!
Thanks Rhiannon :-)

Marielouise04

Postby Marielouise04 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Now I'm more confused!
I spoke to my tutor tonight, and she told me there is no essay in comms apart from global warming!?
x

clarelou

Postby clarelou » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi

I suspect that each tutor has their own ideas of what they want??? I have read a few posts on the forum, then, like you, my tutor said something very different. Well, TBH I have gone with my tutor as he is the one marking my work. :lol:

I am just about to submit assessment 1 of comms, (thank goodness), and have just started the global warming. I am, so far, enjoying it, but I will no doubt need to pick a few brains down the line :D

Clare lou

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Postby Rhia Hayday » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:06 pm

May be I got confused about what was being asked - yes there is only one essay in Comms, and that's on Global Warming. I thought that was what was being referred to by Lisa?! All tutors should mark the same, and therefore there should be no contradictions. We need to know if there are. As the head of department, you should contact me if appropriate (r.hayday@distancelearningcentre.com)
Curriculum Manager

Return to “course materials”