Making a reference to Google Maps

ebirrell88

Making a reference to Google Maps

Postby ebirrell88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:55 pm

In my TAQ 1 report, I have made a table with the distances and time to travel between 3 universities and 3 Royal Marines bases. I used Google maps to find this information out. Do I need to reference every single search I made? This would mean writing 9 references to Google Maps. Also, I ordered prospectuses from the universities websites and wrote in my report that I have done this. I have referenced each university website individually, have I done this right? I'm still trying to grasp the whole referencing thing so don't want to get it wrong!!

Oh and one more thing, Is it possible to give too much information? I've gone into a lot of detail about how I came to do an access midwifery course before I explained what I was looking for in a course at university. I thought that maybe if someone who did not know me was reading it then they would want to know how I came to make the choice.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Emma Birrell
Access to Midwifery

loldiz

Re: Making a reference to Google Maps

Postby loldiz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:39 pm

I just wrote 'I calculated the distances using a transport website' somewhere in my text, then referenced the website once at the end. Your referencing sounds fine, if you don't already know this http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm is a great website for referencing that I think most of us here keep bookmarked because it's great to double-check what you're doing when you run across new reference sources. Also I wouldn't worry a ridiculous amount about your referencing for this unit - if you're getting it wrong, your tutor will give you a heads up before your start writing essays and reports etc. Try your best obviously, but don't stress over it.

I would say, for this unit, probably no such thing as too much information - it's all about preparing you for applying to uni, your personal statement etc, so I think anything that's relevant in terms of your back ground is great. There are word limits and things in some other units you will come across, but this unit is all about you and your skills really, so go for it!

ebirrell88

Re: Making a reference to Google Maps

Postby ebirrell88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:59 pm

loldiz wrote:I just wrote 'I calculated the distances using a transport website' somewhere in my text, then referenced the website once at the end. Your referencing sounds fine, if you don't already know this http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm is a great website for referencing that I think most of us here keep bookmarked because it's great to double-check what you're doing when you run across new reference sources. Also I wouldn't worry a ridiculous amount about your referencing for this unit - if you're getting it wrong, your tutor will give you a heads up before your start writing essays and reports etc. Try your best obviously, but don't stress over it.

I would say, for this unit, probably no such thing as too much information - it's all about preparing you for applying to uni, your personal statement etc, so I think anything that's relevant in terms of your back ground is great. There are word limits and things in some other units you will come across, but this unit is all about you and your skills really, so go for it!

Thank you ever so much, this has given me peace of mind!! I nearly forgot to even reference altogether.

Return to “course materials”