Coms question TAQ 1 uni quetions

Ownedbbyrats

Coms question TAQ 1 uni quetions

Postby Ownedbbyrats » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Hello all i could really do with somehelp adivce. I only started my course a few weeks ago and because i have retake my maths and english GCSE recently (last year) i have gone onto coms. I finally coming to terms with it not being so scary, but am a bit unsure of all the uni questions, as i tend to feel intimidated!
I phoned up suffolk uni and requested a prospectus, and was told to order one online (which i did) but i aslo asked about the course requirments and what modules to concentrate on as i have no clue! the poor guy on the phone had no idea
'i would suggest you did biology'
i laughed and told him he was not helping! but he was very polite lol. So question 1) how do you know what modules to study for the uni your applying for
Anyway i also asked if my diploma worth the 60 credits is acceptable and he told they work on a points score and to try and find out how much 60 credits equaits to 240 points. I cant seem to find this out on UCAS. Although i idealy need to get into the uni of essex i'd really like the answer to this question. (thats question 2)
One more question to go (3). I looked on the ucas website for all the info on the three unis i'm intrested (again essex being my aim) in and am a little confused over some of the course requirements and i'm confused as to which heading i should look under ieProgression Diploma/Advanced Diploma or Access & Supporting QualificationsAccess to HE.
As i said i find the whole uni section really intimidating so any help would be so much appreciated

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Coms question TAQ 1 uni quetions

Postby Karen Hayday » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Ownedbbyrats wrote:Hello all i could really do with somehelp adivce. I only started my course a few weeks ago and because i have retake my maths and english GCSE recently (last year) i have gone onto coms. I finally coming to terms with it not being so scary, but am a bit unsure of all the uni questions, as i tend to feel intimidated!
I phoned up suffolk uni and requested a prospectus, and was told to order one online (which i did) but i aslo asked about the course requirments and what modules to concentrate on as i have no clue! the poor guy on the phone had no idea
'i would suggest you did biology'
i laughed and told him he was not helping! but he was very polite lol. So question 1) how do you know what modules to study for the uni your applying for
Anyway i also asked if my diploma worth the 60 credits is acceptable and he told they work on a points score and to try and find out how much 60 credits equaits to 240 points. I cant seem to find this out on UCAS. Although i idealy need to get into the uni of essex i'd really like the answer to this question. (thats question 2)
One more question to go (3). I looked on the ucas website for all the info on the three unis i'm intrested (again essex being my aim) in and am a little confused over some of the course requirements and i'm confused as to which heading i should look under ieProgression Diploma/Advanced Diploma or Access & Supporting QualificationsAccess to HE.
As i said i find the whole uni section really intimidating so any help would be so much appreciated

OK you need to ask to speak to the admissions tutor or some one who deals directly with the course you want to do

There are no UCAS points for access it is down to how many passes, merits and distinctions they want. Probalby the best way to find this out is to e-mail the questions as they generally send it to the right person, but if you do nnot hear anything then give them a ring and ask to speak to the admissions tutor

You should be looking at Access to HE

Best wishes

Karen :wink:
DLC Executive Director

rml123

Postby rml123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:15 am

Hi

When I first started looking at Unis, I found it so complex, I didn't know what to start!

Good news is, once I started speaking to the right people, they were always so helpful and not intimidating at all. Karen is right, getting to speak to the Admissions tutor for your subject is key as they'll really explain how it all works.

If you can, get to an open day. You get to speak to admissions tutors, lecturers, students, who all want to help. You can literally ask them anything. Admissions tutors will help with your entry requirements, tips on what they are looking for in personal statments and whether they have a good intake of mature students. Students and lecturers will give you more of an overview of what everyday life at uni is like. You can pick up so much information that will help you with your application. I went on my own, but if you'd feel better taking a friend you'd be surprised at what an interesting day out it is and it'll definately calm your fears! :D

If you can't get to an open day, ring the main number at the Uni and ask to be put through to the admissions tutor for your course. If they are not available, an e-mail address is usually easily obtainable.

If you're looking for a bit more info in the meantime, go to the UCAS website and search for the course and university you are interested in. Select it and click on 'Entry Profile/Requirements' and then 'Access & Supporting Qualifications' this will then usually tell you how many credits at Level 3 they are looking for, at what grade and if there are any subjects that are mandatory.

Good luck!
Becky

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Becky, this is brilliant thank you so much

Karen x
DLC Executive Director

Ownedbbyrats

Postby Ownedbbyrats » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 am

thank you both so much so sorry for not replying have had a terrible cold. I will ring all the unis today and reuqest an email address so i can print everything of thank you again

Return to “course materials”