Working Full Time

Thinking about applying? How does it work? What do other students have to say?
faye

Working Full Time

Postby faye » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:36 am

Hi all! Newb here!

I'm 24 years old, applying to do Access to Nursing - but I'm getting a bit disheartened because I can't afford to quit my full-time job. I work 37 hours a week, 8am - 4pm, and also have a horse to look after. My other half will help me with the horse (it's like having a child!) but I am concerned about how I am going to fit in the course with my job.

I last studied full time 6 years ago and did a part time NVQ 3 years ago, so I'm a bit rusty but I feel I'll soon get into the swing of things. I would rather do the course within a year, because 2 years of Access plus 3 years of Uni = 5 years overall study which is a long time! I work at a school so I do get all the school holidays off - I feel this will help a great deal! Got 6 weeks this summer to look forward to!

I'm wondering if anyone else managed to do Access whilst working full-time? Or am I kidding myself? Any advice greatly appreciated :)

angelagarcia84

Re: Working Full Time

Postby angelagarcia84 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi there,

I also work full time (shifts) and have a 9 month old baby.

I have just started the access to nursing course hoping to complete by June 2012 as I am aiming for Sep' 2012 Uni.

Im sure we will both manage. (So far so good :D )

Good Luck xx

faye

Postby faye » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:28 am

Thank you for your reply angela :) Good luck to you also!

Am waiting to be allocated my tutor, can't wait to get started!

cassidyc

Postby cassidyc » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:58 am

Hello,
I was just wondering how you have both been getting on with your course?
I work 12 hour shifts and do some extra, I have just finished the induction and I am really motivated and excited to start the course (access to nursing) but I am worried I won't have the time.
Also do you know when you need to apply for uni? I am hoping to apply to uni next September therefore hoping to complete it in 10 months, am I getting ahead of myself?

Charlotte Xxx

:D

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Charlotte,

If you want to go to university for next September you would have to finish in June and with 12 hour shifts and some extra it sounds like you may be taking on too much as you will need to do about 10 hours of study plus a week to complete in time. I would not rush this course if at all possible, as it is relatively easy to pass it but hard to get merits and distinctions which you will need to gain a place at university. You also need to remember that once you have met the pass criterion you can not go back to improve your grades, so I would think really carefully.

As for UCAS you have to apply before January 15th and our general advice is to make sure it is in by December. You also have to have completed at least comms before we will write you a reference as that is the first level 3 work you will do and to apply with only level 2 work under your belt will reduce your chances of even being offered an interview, as you will have no evidence of being able to work at A level standard to guide your universities as your abilities.

So, in a nut shell work as hard as you can and see where you are up to by November/ December, if you are on track to finish in June apply to university, if not wait for the following year as you can finish the course any time and then you would have a full diploma to wow the universities with for 2013.

Hope that this helps

Karen
DLC Executive Director

cassidyc

Postby cassidyc » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your reply, I will definitely hold off thinking about university just yet. The last thing I want is to rush the course and not be ready for university. I think I’ve been getting a little too excited about where this course could lead me!

I was just a little worried I would be finished the access course and be waiting around to apply to uni. I am changing my role from a ward administrator to an auxiliary nurse in the next couple of months so if there is a gap I could just build up my clinical skills.

Its just so nice to have a plan ahead of me that will lead onto my dream job!

Thanks again

Charlotte

x

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Actually, getting lots of clinical experience on top of your diploma is the best way of getting a place at university as they are looking for people who really know what the job entails and you will. So it sounds like a good plan to me

karen :)
DLC Executive Director

jenkinskay

Postby jenkinskay » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi

I am on maternity leave and I have a 9 month old son. I started the course in June or July cannot remember.

The course is demanding, but the good thing is you have a great network of support around you.

I do my coursework 4hour every night when my son is in bed, however you have to be extremely motivated to do the course because you can get some nights or days where you think, " I cant be bothered, I'll do it later". I am aiming at getting it done for moderation however, as life goes on, things happen, events occur and the unexpected happens which can put you on a backtrack.

However I am enjoying the course, just dont put pressure on yourself because you set yourself personal deadlines. Plus if you have been out of college a while most universities now are asking people to have at least 1 year study experience before applying for the course.

Jenks :dance:

verenaisisalabula

Postby verenaisisalabula » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:59 pm

hi I am in the armed forces and I have to fight the will and motivation on top my endless working day as I go away a lot to do my access course as I cannot afford to leave my job nor do I want to stay in it. I have been reading on the thread on this and also feel that I must rush but after reading this I think it is better to get distinctions then to try to finish too fast. I am doing Access to Health and social care with level 2 equivalencies of maths English chemistry bio and physics. I know I have an uphill battle and will take time. My last experience with studying was 10 years ago and am finding it tough. any advice is welcome.

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:08 am

I really wouldn't rush as university places are a bit like hens teeth, very rare. Universities are asking for higher and higher grades so 5 years ago you could get in with just a pass on Access now they are asking for mainly distinctions, sometimes even all distinctions. This is because there are often 50 applicants to every place, so to rush and miss out on the best grades you can possibly get is counter productive; as if you hold an offer at a university and then do not get the grades then they will simply give the place to someone else. My advise is to start as soon as you can, to give yourself as much time as possible to finish at the end of May 2016. Keep to your ILP so that you know you are on track and then do your best.

I wish I could tell you it is easy but to know the reality is better in the long run

Karen
DLC Executive Director

LovelyDay

Postby LovelyDay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 am

Hi verenaisisalabula,

I have just finished my Access to Nursing course and I also work full-time and have other commitments. In my honest opinion I would take your time completing the course and get the best grade you can possibly get, there is nothing worse than rushing an assessment and knowing that it's not your best work and then getting a grade you don't want as you can't go back and have a redo.

The course can be hard going at times and on the odd occasion I thought I would never finish but, I used my tutors a lot and they were brilliant not only did they clear up any questions but they were my cheerleaders and kept me going. Every assessment I entered I was 100% happy with and knew I had tried my best.

I needed 30 credits at distinction and the rest at merit to get my offered place at uni to do children's nursing and I actually managed to exceed the entry grades so it can be done. I know that for the midwifery courses many are asking for 45 credits at distinction and as Karen has said there are hundreds if not thousands of applicants for these courses but don't be put off. I am in my late 30's, I have never worked in a healthcare setting the only experience I have is volunteering for the National Children's Deaf Society as I can sign, but I was offered 3 places for September.

I would say commit to getting the career you want and go for it, in the tough times just try and remind yourself why you doing it and that you will get to the end. :thumbup:
Carol G :thumbup:

verenaisisalabula

Postby verenaisisalabula » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi Karen and Carol G, I would like to say that it is very much a great to see your response and yes have taken it on board. Thanks for the positive and honest outlook. Much appreciated.Vee

Return to “What is it like being a DLC student?”