Practical Assessment - subjects & pulse taking

JoMitchell

Practical Assessment - subjects & pulse taking

Postby JoMitchell » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi everyone

Looking for a little guidance here on how people even carried out the practical let alone wrote it up and DLC isn't open till after easter I hope you guys can help.

I know you are away but there is no way I can do this before you are back so getting in with my questions/issues early.

1. Subjects - where am I supposed to get these from? I know I can use friends and family but it is hardly practical as I would need to be with them to take their pulses and a lot of them live miles from me. I can't just realistically stand in the street and ask random people as I would have nowhere to do it and it wouldn't be a controlled environment.

2. How many subjects would I need? And should I be getting them to complete the personality type questionnaire first so I don't have too many of one personality type?

3. Am I just measuring their pulse using the old fashioned holding wrist? I'm not really sure how I will do this while they are doing the dot to dot without stopping them - is that ok?

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks
Jo

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Practical Assessment - subjects & pulse taking

Postby Karen Hayday » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:50 pm

JoMitchell wrote:Hi everyone

Looking for a little guidance here on how people even carried out the practical let alone wrote it up and DLC isn't open till after easter I hope you guys can help.

I know you are away but there is no way I can do this before you are back so getting in with my questions/issues early.

1. Subjects - where am I supposed to get these from? I know I can use friends and family but it is hardly practical as I would need to be with them to take their pulses and a lot of them live miles from me. I can't just realistically stand in the street and ask random people as I would have nowhere to do it and it wouldn't be a controlled environment.

How about neighbours? Any one at work, your kids school friends, their parents?

2. How many subjects would I need? And should I be getting them to complete the personality type questionnaire first so I don't have too many of one personality type?

You need enough to be a valid sample so start with a larger number and whittle it down to to the actual test

3. Am I just measuring their pulse using the old fashioned holding wrist? I'm not really sure how I will do this while they are doing the dot to dot without stopping them - is that ok?

You take the pulse before and after not during

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks
Jo

Hope that this has been some help

Karen
DLC Executive Director

JoMitchell

Postby JoMitchell » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks Karen - as it was I turned to facebook and offered people a cupcake if they got involved - now I have over 20 volunteers! So that's that sorted with regards to the pulse taking I'm confused because on the instructions it says to take the pulse during the assessment and having received an email from my tutor she said to just stop them and take it which I have done for the first three... does this mean I wasn't supposed to?
Many thanks
Jo

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 am

You do stop them when it says to take further pulse rates so your tutor is right, i thought that you were asking if you took the pulse rate continually whilst they were doing the experiment which of course would be very difficult

Best wishes

Karen
DLC Executive Director

JoMitchell

Postby JoMitchell » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Ahhhhh no - thanks for the reply though and clarifying the points for me :)

Return to “Open Awards Aspects of health and disease”