TAQ 4 Osteoperosis and ACL

sarahjrowe

TAQ 4 Osteoperosis and ACL

Postby sarahjrowe » Fri May 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Hello, I'm really stuck!!
Can anyone help me how the ACL is damaged through a lack of physical exercise? As fas as I can see, it's damaged mainly turing sport and being twisted/ bent the wrong way.

I get osteoperosis can develop from obsesity? Is there anything else that can effect it.. lack of exericise wise?

Any help will be great!
:)

Robin Greenwood

Re: TAQ 4 Osteoperosis and ACL

Postby Robin Greenwood » Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 am

Hiya

I know a few people struggle with this one but really it's due to the behaviour of the ligaments when the person doesnt exercise, like muscles, biology abhors something that's not used so the ligaments harden and stiffen when they're not used often and while people think that the hardening and stiffening would be beneficial it's not at all it's actually more likely to make them brittle and prone to fracture instead of being supple and able to provide the 'snap back' that muscles need and the lack of flexibility increases the likelihood of injuries.

For instance, imagine if you have a rope that takes and loses load over time, it flexes and benefits from being supple, however if you then freeze that rope, it might actually be able to take more weight for a short amount of time, being hardened but the gaining and losing of load will actually cause it to fracture over time and in the end that rope is much more likely to snap or tear thanks to the loss in flexibility

I hope this helps, let me know if not

Robin

Return to “Skeletal and muscular systems”