Support function of the Skeleton

rml123

Support function of the Skeleton

Postby rml123 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi all

I hope somebody can help?

I am just trying to understand how the internal organs/tissues are supported within the skeleton - such as how are the heart, lungs, liver etc are suspended in the rib cage.

For example, muscles are attached to the outside of the skeleton by tendons. Are the internal organs and structures supported by the serous membrane, which contains connective tissue, which attaches it to the skeleton? What prevents the internal organs from collapsing into a gooey mess in the abdomen :)

Thanks
Becky

Robin Greenwood

Re: Support function of the Skeleton

Postby Robin Greenwood » Tue May 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Hiya

That's a really good question and I'm sure one that most people will not have asked even if they've thought of it and it's kinda complicated

Most organs are surrounded by a layer generally called the serosum or the serous membrane and the outer layer of the serous membrane connects to the structures around it via the connective tissue layer

It is the serous membrane that tends to adhere to the body's structure while forming a cavity and that cavity has the organs within them. One good example is the pleural membrane which has a serous outer layer and then forms a cavity for the lung itself (which will then collapse if that cavity is punctured)

I hope this helps

Robin

rml123

Re: Support function of the Skeleton

Postby rml123 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks Robin :)

Return to “Skeletal and muscular systems”