TAQ 1

sharonmw1979

TAQ 1

Postby sharonmw1979 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi,

I've noticed that the guidance says to keep the answer to three meals a day for each of the people, which I don't mind doing, but technically that means that the answer isn't correct.

An athlete eats far more than three meals a day when they're training and pregnant women are advised to smaller meal portions more than three times a day.

Wouldn't it show we had a better understanding of the dietry needs if we had a few more words in the allowance and actually answered the question properly? As it stands this poor athlete won't be able to walk after the portions he's about to have, let alone run! :?

Any thoughts or is it not that important...

:)

Robin Greenwood

Re: TAQ 1

Postby Robin Greenwood » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:54 am

Hiya

well, it's fine to change the number of meals as long as you explain why, in this case it's the understanding that's needed since the real focus of this assignment is

Evaluate data to identify how dietary requirements vary with factors including age, XXX and activity

which, by this question you've already started doing, as long as you make sure you stick with the format required and make sure that you've explained your choices

I hope this helps

Robin

sharonmw1979

Postby sharonmw1979 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Robin,

I'm having really big problems fitting 27 meals into 150 words.

If a balanced meal comprises of 5 food groups and we only have 5.5 words per meal I don't know how it is possible to do this answer in the allocated word count.

I've noticed that this is a relatively new question on the TAQ as other references to TAQ in the forum are based on a pre-written menu. Could it be that the author might have mis-calculated the word count.

My other thought to be honest is 'why is there a word count on a meal planner'. It's asking for what they need to eat over the three days. Shortening 'fresh orange juice' or semi-skimmed milk' would give a totally different meaning.

Sorry for moaning :roll:

Sharon

lauramakin

Postby lauramakin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:59 pm

I completly agree with you and am also wondering if the word count was wrong as i have only done the teenage boys diet and am on 93 words already and this is by reducing it to three meals as apposed to the recomended little and often, eating six times a day way of thinking.

Im very confused :?:

Robin Greenwood

Postby Robin Greenwood » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Hiya

well I'd definitely take the first one at 150 words at not needing any detail the focus on this question is to give a relatively basic menu to meet the criteria and then to explain it for the better mark. In this case dont worry about abbreviations, the main reason for the small word count is to make sure people dont spend hours on what is meant to be a relatively simple introduction and we kept the word count small to make sure people dont start to merge the two and start explaining their dietary recommendations within the first porition

Once the menu's done, I'd definitely spend the major part of the effort for this question on the second part.

I hope this helps

Robin

caroline.anne

Postby caroline.anne » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I really feel like I'm hitting a brick wall with this one. I've done a REALLY basic menu for each person, but when it comes to writing the second part I'm struggling with how to write it. Do I write about each meal? Because that would take up too many words... and am I supposed to write about each person individually, or more of a comparison between all of them? I feel I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill here, but the more I think about it the more confused I become!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Caroline

sharonmw1979

Postby sharonmw1979 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Caroline,

I talked spcifically about what their individual dietry requirements were and why. In term of comparison I did it more generally, for example, the elderly man in hospital needs less calories than an eldery man at home because he is inactive... etc etc.

Hope that helps.

Sorry I didn't spot this sooner.

Sharon

smudge899

Postby smudge899 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:09 am

Not a happy bunny at all with this question!

What sort of athlete is he, body builder who would need muscle gain, gymnast who would require agility etc?
Are they required to loose weight or gain weight as may need to add different things?
Totally disagree with this question as all facts are not given, what about height and BMI???

As for the word count ..... well I have been struggling with this throughout all modules so far. Then top it off remarks of need more depth come back. Up the word count then !!!

Oh Merry Xmas everyone and have a wonderful New Year

Geoff Smith

crimeblitz

Postby crimeblitz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:21 am

Totally agree Geoff, I've found most of the questions in all topics so far to be very poorly worded and lacking details. Word counts are a struggle as well as, where most of the questions are quite vague, its difficult to know what details to cut out and where to stop with going to far into things. I hope university is better explained than home learning :thumbdown:

Return to “Diet and digestion”