TAQ 3b- Physical Digestion

jodipodi83

TAQ 3b- Physical Digestion

Postby jodipodi83 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi all, so having a look through some posts to get a better understanding of whats required for this and belive Im correct if I solely concentrate on the PHYSICAL as in muscular contracions/what types of muscle and what they are doing etc ie: the longitudal layers of the muscles in the stomach do this.......etc etc....the Pyloric sphincter controls the amount of food going into the small intestine to prevent this.....rather than the enzymes and where the enzymes are produced etc?
I did notice that someone mentions gallbladder, liver in addition to what I was intending to explain which is the mouth, oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum. Can someone tell me whether I actually need to go as far as the gallbladder/liver etc!!!??? I want a distinction for this so don't want to carry on if Im in the wrong direction :)

Robin Greenwood

Re: TAQ 3b- Physical Digestion

Postby Robin Greenwood » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:07 am

Hiya

yup, that's something a lot of people struggle with since it's entirely the physical side of things and I'd not really go into the enzymes except for the table that follows

No, to be honest for this question I'd skip the gall bladder and liver, this causes some issues since it's easy for people to get confused between the physical side and the chemical side and I'd definitely say the gall bladder and liver are on the chemical side

I hope this helps

Robin

jodipodi83

Postby jodipodi83 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Great, that's what I'd hoped, thanks again Robin you're a great help.
Just backtracking a bit to 3a: In the guidance notes it says:
...use examples of each of the sorts of nutrients with descriptions of what they breakdown into and why the body uses them.
For the above would I be on the right tracks saying that Protein is broken down into smaller amino acid molecules for repair and growth ....then explain what fats and also carbohydrates are broken down into and for what purpose?
Just with it asking only for physical I'm assuming that nothing further than this would be needed? (having already explained WHY the digestive process is needed in terms of assimilation & absorption)

Thanks

Robin Greenwood

Postby Robin Greenwood » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Hiya

exactly, in some respects it helps to think of the questions with that level of seperation so focus entirely on the criteria in question. the work for physical digestion there's no need to mention what things break down into and that'd actually take up some of your word count, this is why the questions are designed to be so specific so each can be covered fairly succinctly and in a discrete manner

I hope this helps

Robin

jodipodi83

Postby jodipodi83 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks Robin, yes that's great. I'm a definite fan of how these new assessments are set out. It is strange at first to get away from the thinking that you have to do endless write ups. I have often made my work harder than it needed to be but once you realise just what its specifically asking for it saves a hell of a lot of stress...for me anyway :)

Return to “Diet and digestion”