Hbs1 - are all HBS units this long?

Donna10480

Hbs1 - are all HBS units this long?

Postby Donna10480 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if all of the biology units are this long? I've spent 10 hours on this today and still nowhere near finished. OMG, it's so so time consuming. Is it even possible to gain distinctions with 150 word counts? :violin:

sahara112

Re: Hbs1 - are all HBS units this long?

Postby sahara112 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi Donna

I found the biology units extremely long because there are many TAQ's to complete for each unit and ALOT of background reading to do. The word counts for some TAQ's are ridiculous and i found it extremely frustrating when i received tutor feedback saying "its a very good answer but you needed to include ................. in order to gain a distinction" as i had no word allowance left!! The best advice i can give you is to set a timetable for each unit and try your very best to stick to it, what i did was break down each TAQ into days and set my self target days in which i had to complete each TAQ. I found this to be an efficient way of completing the units.
Good luck with the rest of your units.

Donna10480

Postby Donna10480 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 am

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping you were going to say .. " no its just organisation of the body which is v v long" haha ...

Got my work cut out then, as deadlines are 2 weeks !!!

It sounds like everyone is struggling with word counts. It would be so much easier to gain distinction if they were doubled. You would think that fewer words would mean less work but far from it.

Robin Greenwood

Postby Robin Greenwood » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 am

Hiya

the word counts are designed to allow getting a distinction and before we had them there were several problems where people would focus on one criteria, do thousands of words on that and then miss out on the other criteria or would be sending work that was 10-15,000 words per unit on a scatter shot approach hoping that they hit the right areas meaning marking wise tutors would have to read the equivalent of 70,000 words per day, more at times approaching moderation and students would be having to work constantly to even complete a unit. The word counts generally are designed to focus on the criteria and allow a much tighter form of answer and making sure that you're 100% clear on what the criteria is asking for is very important since every sentence on something not asked for is irrelevant to the answer. Of course these are under review every year and so far the main requested changes have been fairly small. As long as you are specific in answers, giving a strong explanation tied to the criteria and using terminology of the subject matter then generally the word counts will not penalise you

I hope this helps

Robin

Return to “Open Awards Human Biological Science 1”