Research Methods and Statistics

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
craigkelly88

Postby craigkelly88 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 pm

I have just started to read through the assessment pages and TAQ 1 word count is confusing me..

I understand I have to choose 2 methods from column 1 in the example table, and then give an Explanation, Its use and its limitiation.

So for each of the example i choose from column 1, I have to give the explanation, its use and limitiation and they have to equal 150 words combined? The example given seems to be alot longer than 150 words.

ANy clarification would be great :D

Paula1

Re: Research Methods and Statistics

Postby Paula1 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Hello,
I am feeling the same as you and have read the instructions over and over this morning. As you say I think it means choose 2 from column 1, then the explanation is column 2, the use bit is column 3 and I think that the column 4 is the evaluation bit for taq 1, question 2. I agree the word count is very small and only allows for one or two sentences at most! I suppose it is a case of using the best words possible to get the point across? really confusing. Hope you have got somewhere with it :?

Jason O' Mahoney
Head of Social Sciences

Postby Jason O' Mahoney » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:59 am

Hi,

It is 150 words per research method (plus 10% over)

craigkelly88

Postby craigkelly88 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks Jason

sharonmw1979

Postby sharonmw1979 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:30 pm

It's a shame the example given isn't one which fits within the word count to give students an idea of what the answer should/could look like... :eh: :?

craigkelly88

Postby craigkelly88 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Agreed Sharon, it would avoid alot of confusion.

ajn3592

Postby ajn3592 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Just want to check I've done it right before I send it off...
TAQ1:
Column 1 - Explanation
Column 2 - Where it could be used, along with an example and any strengths.
Column 3 - Limitations with an example.

The second half of TAQ1 asks to evaluate the appropriate use of the different methods you have used in question one above. Surely the appropriate use would be the examples I've used in the table? Have I done it right by using the same examples for each method but going into a bit more detail? As I feel like I've repeated myself a bit.

Anyone else done this???

Kerrylouise1983

Postby Kerrylouise1983 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi, what did you do do in the end? I thought that taq1 part 2 was the limitations etc? Simply because the work caount is absolutely ridiculous? This is such a hard module. Not enjoying it one little bit and really feel a fail coming on :|

Jason O' Mahoney
Head of Social Sciences

Postby Jason O' Mahoney » Wed May 14, 2014 7:44 am

Hi,

Have a tutorial with your tutor to discuss the unit. :thumbup:

Tattie

Postby Tattie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:37 am

Hi

just starting this assessment and had the same thoughts, tight word count, TAQ1.2 looks like a different question than the table until you read the table
AND that the example given doesn't fall anywhere near the word count so- whilst helpful in suggestions as to what type of things I can include not really indictative of an example answer.

I take it that you use the table for part 1 & 2 of TAQ 1 and columns 2-4 need to add up to 150 words (+/-10%)

However,

I'm looking for distinctions (Uni demands it!) so is it ok just to do 2 research methods or do I need to do more?
The question is worded that the word count applied to each method so you could do all of them if you so wished?

any clarification please?

(I'm going to keep checking on here for tips and pointers as this is a new topic to me!)

thanksin advance

Tattie

Jason O' Mahoney
Head of Social Sciences

Postby Jason O' Mahoney » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:51 am

Hi,

Focus on 2 research methods for the first TAQ. Ensure you give your answer some context so I would recommend you link your answer to a core study in psychology. For example, if you looked at Lab Experiments you could use Stanley Milgram's Obedience to Authority as your Core study. Also, I should say that the first part of Research Methods only covers a small set of assessment criteria. So the grade you get for this first assessment is added to the second research methods grade (which you will do when you do the formal research report in psychology). So you will receive TWO research methods mark sheets (and the second mark sheet will have the overall grade for the 6 credit unit). :thumbup:

Tattie

Postby Tattie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:02 pm

thanks

that's helpful

Tattie

RichardGhval

Postby RichardGhval » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:33 am

Hi,

Its a multiple choice question and the I need to pick a correct answer from options a-e.

Not sure what dont you get?

Thanks

Return to “Statistics”