E V and D V

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Bex86

E V and D V

Postby Bex86 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm writing up my planning a research project and am trying to understand the EV and DV.
If the observer is made known to the participants( is this the extraneous variable?) during a covert observation this then changes the observation which could make the participants (The dependent variable?) act differently. Sorry its a bit long winded but am I on the right track?
Thanks.

Rebecca Smith

Re: E V and D V

Postby Rebecca Smith » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:23 am

Hi
Variables can be tricky to sort out!
First lets try to sort the issue of IV and DV - these are variables which are changed (IV) and measured (DV) in experimental research - check carefully that you are using an experimental method here

Extraneous variables can affect your measurements but you can control them - factors like time of day or the difficulty of a task are common extraneous variables - they are usually things to do with the environment or the way the investigation is being conducted

Confounding variables can also affect measurements but you cannot control them - for instance how stressed participants are - they are usually things to do with the participants

Hope this helps! Good luck with your assessment

Bex86

Re: E V and D V

Postby Bex86 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks, makes things clearer. Sorry for the late reply, I've been on night shifts :wtf:

Return to “Social Sciences & Psychology”