Haptics and Gender

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Jordan26

Haptics and Gender

Postby Jordan26 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:26 pm

Anyone suggest anymore theories on haptics around gender? in the learning materials it doesn't cover gender specifically much.

Karen

Re: Haptics and Gender

Postby Karen » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Believe you can and you're halfway there :dance:

Received an offer for Forensic Psychology (2017) :D

Jordan26

Postby Jordan26 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks karen :)

Jordan26

Postby Jordan26 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:55 pm

Is an example of a theory.. (Hall and Veccia do a study on interaction and haptics in public places) “when a male is involved,touching would be mainly with the hand” ? there isnt much theory only like explanations as far as i can see? or results to analyse afterwards to then make theories...

• I’m looking at the IV and DV on a naturalistic observation i am asked what method and design I will use. What exactly is meant by that?

Karen

Postby Karen » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi

Naturalistic observation is a technique that involves observing subjects in their natural environment. So this involves looking at a behaviour as it occurs. (Don't forget - remember that this type of observation involves things that cannot be manipulated in a lab due to ethical concerns). (Also - people may behave differently when they know they are being watched).

IV - A variable that the experimenter manipulates ... example, (changes) – and is assumed to have a direct effect on the dependent variable.
DV - A variable the experimenter measures, after making changes to the IV that are assumed to affect the DV.

Here is an example ...

The independent variable (IV) is what u are changing, the is could be gender (have one male group and one female group). Too be honest it depends what you are measuring.

The dependant variable is what you are measuring in the experiment.

A theory - This is something based upon a hypothesis and backed up by evidence. It describes a behaviour and must make predictions about future behaviours.

Karen

Received an offer for Forensic Psychology (2017) :D

Jordan26

Postby Jordan26 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Thank you was a bit confused earlier this week :S

Karen

Postby Karen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:31 am

Are you okay now?