First assessment - applying to uni - word count

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Forgetmenot

First assessment - applying to uni - word count

Postby Forgetmenot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi

Currently working through my first assessment, study skills applying to university..struggle at first, talking about yourself, all was going ok.. then I realised there's a 1500 word limit.. I'm about there already and I haven't even written my PS yet..and there's 500 words taken up from the paragraph about skills.. I hope this gets easier :dance: lol

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Re: First assessment - applying to uni - word count

Postby PPoskitt » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:12 pm

A really good tip, that you can apply to all of your assessments from here-on-in. It might be complete common sense, but it works wonders :thumbup:

1. Look at the Mark Scheme - Have a look at what specifically the assessment is looking for, and how to get the best marks, especially when working towards getting Distinction level.

2. Look at the Word Count - How many words do you have for this assignment? Does the assignment allow 10% over or under the word count?

3. Apply the Mark Scheme to the Word Count - Use the most words in the areas that get the best marks. Be as factual and as concise as possible, nobody got marks for waffle! (unless it's a really good discussion arguing two valid points)

At least you've found this out in your first ever assignment - better than finding out further down the line! It's easy to go off on a tangent for this first part. You'll work it all out and get there :D

All the best :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

carrotcruncher

Postby carrotcruncher » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi forgetmenot - good advice above :thumbup:

I only completed this assessment a few weeks ago - where are you getting the 1500 limit from ?
TAQ1 - no limit
TAQ2 - no limit other than 2 sides of A4 max
TAQ3 - 500 words
TAQ4 - no limit
TAQ5 - 47 lines/4000 CHARACTERS (not words)
TAQ6 - no limit

Which bit are you on ?

Karen

Postby Karen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:32 pm

carrotcruncher wrote:Hi forgetmenot - good advice above :thumbup:

I only completed this assessment a few weeks ago - where are you getting the 1500 limit from ?
TAQ1 - no limit
TAQ2 - no limit other than 2 sides of A4 max
TAQ3 - 500 words
TAQ4 - no limit
TAQ5 - 47 lines/4000 CHARACTERS (not words)
TAQ6 - no limit

Which bit are you on ?

I am wondering the same Carrotcruncher :?
Believe you can and you're halfway there :dance:

Received an offer for Forensic Psychology (2017) :D

Forgetmenot

Postby Forgetmenot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Ah so I might have it wrong?? I hope I have!!

In the declaration it says "the word count for a three credit unit is 1500 words and the word count for a 6 credit unit is 2500 words"..

aaaaaaaah.. is this per TAQ? I had over 1500 and was at TAQ 3..

Am I a dummy? lol

Forgetmenot

Postby Forgetmenot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:57 am

Anyone? :crazy:

Karen

Postby Karen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11 am

Best thing for you to do Forgetmenot is read through your TAQ Criteria Sheet. Make sure you read each TAQ properly and if there is a word count for that question then it will say! For an example .. TAQ 3 Word count 500 words ..

Good luck :thumbup:

carrotcruncher

Postby carrotcruncher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:25 am

Yes :D

The criteria sheet says how may words per TAQ in each case - unless it's changed in the past 3 weeks - the word limits for each TAQ on this assessment are as I posted above.
Ignore what it says on the front page of the declaration for this assessment and be guided by the word count which is clearly stated under each TAQ for this unit.
Don't panic and shout if you need any more info :thumbup:

Forgetmenot

Postby Forgetmenot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 am

carrotcruncher wrote:Yes :D

The criteria sheet says how may words per TAQ in each case - unless it's changed in the past 3 weeks - the word limits for each TAQ on this assessment are as I posted above.
Ignore what it says on the front page of the declaration for this assessment and be guided by the word count which is clearly stated under each TAQ for this unit.
Don't panic and shout if you need any more info :thumbup:

OMG thank you for clarifying. I was going into meltdown mode wondering how I was going to get all of this into 1500 total!

Sorry...So to clarify, the word count is no more or less than 1000-1500 per TAQ unless otherwise stated? So technically, I could do 1000 for TAQ 1, 1500 for TAQ 2?

Thank you again :doh:

carrotcruncher

Postby carrotcruncher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Each TAQ shows it's word count.
TAQ 1 asks for a table - no word limit - but you're unlikely to hit the 1000 you mention I would think
TAQ 2 is CV preparation - no word limit but it must fit on two sides of A4 - I'd very much doubt you would hit 1500 in the space allowed.
TAQ3 is self evaluation - 500 words - describing your attributes, and your transferable and inter personal skills, and areas for improvement
TAQ4 create an action plan - no word limit - I personally created a table for this, but I guess you could do it in many different ways.
TAQ5 is your personal statement - 4000 CHARACTERS (not words) or 47 lines maximum
TAQ6 is devising interview questions, having a mock interview and reflecting on this. No word limit.

All I would add is that you need to get as much into your writing in terms of content with using as few words as possible.

As you progress some of the word counts become very tight - where obviously sticking exactly to the point becomes critical - so it's best to cut out waffle from the off :thumbup:

Forgetmenot

Postby Forgetmenot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:23 pm

carrotcruncher wrote:Each TAQ shows it's word count.
TAQ 1 asks for a table - no word limit - but you're unlikely to hit the 1000 you mention I would think
TAQ 2 is CV preparation - no word limit but it must fit on two sides of A4 - I'd very much doubt you would hit 1500 in the space allowed.
TAQ3 is self evaluation - 500 words - describing your attributes, and your transferable and inter personal skills, and areas for improvement
TAQ4 create an action plan - no word limit - I personally created a table for this, but I guess you could do it in many different ways.
TAQ5 is your personal statement - 4000 CHARACTERS (not words) or 47 lines maximum
TAQ6 is devising interview questions, having a mock interview and reflecting on this. No word limit.

All I would add is that you need to get as much into your writing in terms of content with using as few words as possible.

As you progress some of the word counts become very tight - where obviously sticking exactly to the point becomes critical - so it's best to cut out waffle from the off :thumbup:

Thank you!! It's really not clear from the declaration sheet. Phew! panic over. I was trying to keep it tight anyway but then completely freaked out when I got confused. Thank you. So glad this happened now and not later on!!! I'll speak to my tutor on the phone when he's back and I'll make sure I am on the right planet :dance:

I feel so silly now, but I'm glad I had it so wrong lol

Karen

Postby Karen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Yes, good idea, always have a tutorial, ask all the questions you need too, and keep a close eye on your criteria sheet and especially each TAQ. It will have word counts wrote on if they are needed. :D

Good luck :thumbup:

carrotcruncher

Postby carrotcruncher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:35 pm

No problems, its a bit daunting at first, just make sure you read each individual TAQ thoroughly and observe the word count allocated for each one.
I guess that the declaration sheet is somewhat generic, and is not adjusted for each assessment - so the information on each individual TAQ supersedes the declaration sheet.
Make use of the tutorial calls and it's probably a good idea to write down a list of questions beforehand.
You can of course email your tutor too , and ask here of course.
Good luck with your studies :thumbup:

Staceyweb

Postby Staceyweb » Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi everyone

I am currently doing TAQ 1 ( the assessment ) do i have to research and write down things for 5 universes or just the 1 i wold like to go to?

i just want to double check. thank you xx

carrotcruncher

Postby carrotcruncher » Mon May 09, 2016 5:53 am

You have to do a few - I did three - even though like you, I was only going to apply to one :)

Return to “Study Skills (English and Maths Level 2 and Study Skills level 3)”