Does the bibliography count as part of the word count?

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Hoplikeabunny

Does the bibliography count as part of the word count?

Postby Hoplikeabunny » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:18 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this is written somewhere and i've missed it, but I can't work out if the bibliography is supposed to be part of the word count?

I think i've been out of education too long, the formatting side of things is stressing me a little! I'm only on my first assignment...not a great start!

Thank you :D

Charley

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Re: Does the bibliography count as part of the word count?

Postby PPoskitt » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi Charley,

The reference list and/or bibliography is NOT part of any word count.

Also, do you need any help with the formatting side of things? Is there anything else you need help with?

All the best :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Hoplikeabunny

Postby Hoplikeabunny » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:07 am

Hi Phil,

Thank you very much for such a quick reply! I wasn't expecting anyone to be up this late :wave:

I think i'm just being a bit silly really and unnecessarily panicking! I just have a couple of questions below if you don't mind answering?

Do all of the TAQs need to be on separate pages, or do they just follow on from each other?

In terms of the page number/name and unit title that goes in the header/footer, do these need to be orientated in a specific way? I.e- left, centre or to the right?

This is a question relating to Word, so no worries if you don't know the answer- Is there a way of highlighting a portion of text and finding out the word count? I can currently only seem to figure out the word count for the entire document!

Sorry, probably silly questions! The good news is that I think i've mastered the Harvard Referencing system! We didn't use it when I was at University before, so it's all new to me.

Thanks very much.

Charley

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:05 am

Hoplikeabunny wrote:Hi Phil,

Thank you very much for such a quick reply! I wasn't expecting anyone to be up this late :wave:

I think i'm just being a bit silly really and unnecessarily panicking! I just have a couple of questions below if you don't mind answering?

Do all of the TAQs need to be on separate pages, or do they just follow on from each other?

In terms of the page number/name and unit title that goes in the header/footer, do these need to be orientated in a specific way? I.e- left, centre or to the right?

This is a question relating to Word, so no worries if you don't know the answer- Is there a way of highlighting a portion of text and finding out the word count? I can currently only seem to figure out the word count for the entire document!

Sorry, probably silly questions! The good news is that I think i've mastered the Harvard Referencing system! We didn't use it when I was at University before, so it's all new to me.

Thanks very much.

Charley

Hi Charley,

No worries at all, glad to be able to help! No silly questions here.

TAQ's don't need to be on separate pages, but sometimes it does look a lot neater. Your assessment needs to be one file (so not uploading one word doc per TAQ, otherwise your myDLC file section will be a nightmare for your tutor to mark!). If a TAQ was going to start at the bottom of a page, I'd put some empty lines in between TAQ's, so my next one started neatly on a new page - just looks nicer this way! I made a new WORD doc each time. The header would include.....

Module name - Module Group - My name (Student number)

For example

Gas Exchange and Transport - HBS1 - Phil Poskitt (STUPOS*****)

And my footer would always include a central 'Page 1 of 11'

For word count on word, I'm not sure what version you have there - but generally, highlight the text that you want to count. Head to the toolbar at the top of the screen, click on 'Tools' then 'Word Count'. The pop up should then show you the figures for the text that has been highlighted. If this doesn't work for your version, best thing you can do is go to google, type your version of word followed by word count (e.g Word 2010 word count) - generally you get an answer pretty easy this way!

Any more queries about how your assessments should be laid out, all the information can be found in the Student Handboox (Found when logged in to myDLC, Toolkit, Student Handbook - Or click here once logged in http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/user/student-handbook.php .

Good job on the Harvard referencing! It can be difficult to master, especially when referencing a source type that you haven't done before. This website really is a great tool for helping you with any resource - http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm

Any more questions at all, feel free to fire away :)

All the best! :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Hoplikeabunny

Postby Hoplikeabunny » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:33 am

Thank you very much, that's all really helpful :thumbup:

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 am

Let us know how you get on :thumbup: 8-)
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Hoplikeabunny

Postby Hoplikeabunny » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Argh, one more question! For the UCAS personal statement, does the character limit of 4000 words include spaces?

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:00 pm

A character is a space, full stop, comma - anything that takes a 'space' in the text. When completing your UCAS personal statement, you can highlight your text in word, select tools, word count - this will also give you a character number for what you've written :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Return to “Study Skills (English and Maths Level 2 and Study Skills level 3)”