Help.... Bibliography.

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
lissy90

Help.... Bibliography.

Postby lissy90 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm doing my comms unit, and I think I'm being stupid.

I know I have to reference everything, and that's what I've been doing. I also know what a bibliography is, but what I don't understand is why I have to do both if I'm already referencing it. And do I just put books and articles in my bibliography, not websites?

Please Help!
Lissy90 :?

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Help.... Bibliography.

Postby Karen Hayday » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:38 pm

I think you need to know the difference between a bibliography and a reference

The terms "References‟ and "Bibliography‟ are often used synonymously, but there is a difference in meaning
between them.
REFERENCES
References are the items you have read and specifically referred to (or cited) in your assignment , and your list of sources at the end of the assignment will be headed "References‟ .
If you make a point of reading selectively you can make use of everything you read by referring directly to it in your assignments. In that event, it will be perfectly correct to just have a "References‟ list instead of a "Bibliography
BiBLIOGRAPHY
Strictly speaking, a bibliography is a list of everything you read in preparation for writing an assignment, whether or not you referred specifically to it in the assignment. A bibliography will, therefore, normally contain sources that you have cited in your assignment and also those you found to be influential, but decided not to cite. A bibliography can give a tutor an overview of which authors have influenced your ideas and arguments even if you do not specifically refer to them.

Hope that this helps

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

rhinos01

Postby rhinos01 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:52 pm

I AM NEARY AT THE END OF MY COURSE, I HAVE JUST BEEN ASKED TO DO A BIBLIOGRAPHY BUT EVERYTHING I HAVE READ WAS ON THE INTERNET? WHAT DO I DO

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:54 am

Have a look in the student hand book it tells you exactly what to do in there. There is also info in the library.

Best wishes

Karen :wink:
DLC Executive Director

Return to “Study Skills (English and Maths Level 2 and Study Skills level 3)”