New Laptop

Air your views. Talk about yourself, your family or even about nothing in particular!
PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

New Laptop

Postby PPoskitt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:53 am

Hey all!

It's been roughly 10 years since I've treated myself to a new computer, and after recent events with virus's and hackers getting through firewalls with old software etc (I was using word 95 for my work!!), I've finally used some savings to get a macbook.

Absolutely awesome laptop so far, the software that comes with it for word processing (Pages) seems absolutely fine and does everything I need it to. All software runs smoothly, everything seems 100x faster and I'm able to backup all my work with 'google drive' (15gb for free - look into it if you haven't already!) with just a few clicks.

Has anyone else been using a mac for their work with the DLC? Have you had any problems with any of the material? Are there any tips to pass on to a new mac user?

Hope everyone is doing well!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: New Laptop

Postby Rhia Hayday » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Phil

I use a Mac and concur, they are amazing! Couple of things for using it for the DLC:

1) install Firefox - it works much better than Safari for DLC pages and downloading materials etc
2) install Adobe Reader, but don't let it become your main PDF browser - still have this set as Preview. Preview is loads better because you can edit PDFs and create documents, which you can't do in Adobe unless you spend a couple of hundred pounds. However, any PDFs that have been created on a new version of Adobe won't function with Preview. If you come across one of these, go to your Downloads, click on the PDF file, click on the cog (or do this via control on your keyboard), and click 'open with'. This will give you the option to open with Adobe instead and will allow you to view everything without losing your access to Preview
3) make sure you save any Pages docs as Word doc or docx, and do a compatibility check - usually all fine, but good to make sure. You may have a problem with Macros using Mac programs with documents written in Microsoft, but this is minimal.

Think that's it, but if you do have any problems, do reply here and I'll get back to you

Rhia
Curriculum Manager

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:32 am

Hey Rhia,

Thank you for the reply, some great tips in there! Still really enjoying using this laptop and have a much better organised method of backing up all of my work. My documents are saving as .doc's just fine when they're completed and all seems to be running smoothly :) Thanks for the adobe reader tip....I'll get on that ASAP while I'm thinking about it!

Thanks again for the quick reply! Hope you're well!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

ellanac86

Postby ellanac86 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:51 am

Another good tip is you are working on a document you dont want to distrcated from emails, temptation to surf the net turn off the wifi at the top of the screen by your clock. That way you won't be tempted and at the same time you safe battery too. Also if pages has the focus option in the view menu at the top use it that way you can concentrate on just the black and white document and no fancy menus
Access to Health Professions Diploma
UCAS 2014
twitter @mhnursing2014
Kik mhnursing14 (new)
My "like" page: https://www.facebook.com/mhnursing2014

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for the extra tips ^_^ Still love it! Could never go back to windows now
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 am

Are there any shortcuts/commands people find useful? (e/g command-shift-4 for taking a screenshot of a portion of the page). I find it difficult to understand what the menus mean sometime (e.g when they'll have a picture of the command button, a ^ and another key) - unsure of which buttons to press.

Do share any helpful shortcuts/commands that you enjoy using on an apple computer! Thanks in advance!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Rhia Hayday

Postby Rhia Hayday » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi Phil - I've got to say, most of the shortcuts have been found by little fingers. Turning the screen upside down was a low point! Ctrl is really useful for giving you the options with documents (in finder, click on something and then control - very useful when you need PDFs to open in a different viewer)
Curriculum Manager

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:01 am

That's absolutely brilliant and cracked me up this morning!! (The screen turning upside down!!). I bet that must have been amusing trying to reverse that haha!

I seem to be finding out random shortcuts as I go along, thanks for the CTRL one with Finder, actually pretty useful.
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Kels

Postby Kels » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Good day to you, I'm new to MAC and to be honest am struggling with the basics (!) but just wanted to ask, when downloading the ILP, to complete and upload - the MAC completely changes it!
It's saving in docx but when downloaded its 44kb then once I have added my info then save it - it goes to 7kb!! When I open it up the document (ILP) is in a totally different format! I am totally confused and annoyed.

Can anyone shed some light?

Rhia Hayday

Postby Rhia Hayday » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Kels wrote:Good day to you, I'm new to MAC and to be honest am struggling with the basics (!) but just wanted to ask, when downloading the ILP, to complete and upload - the MAC completely changes it!
It's saving in docx but when downloaded its 44kb then once I have added my info then save it - it goes to 7kb!! When I open it up the document (ILP) is in a totally different format! I am totally confused and annoyed.

Can anyone shed some light?

Hi - I also use a Mac, so hope this helps ...

Download the ILP, save it to your desktop or a folder.

Open it and edit it.

Save as - click on Compatibility Report. This will bring up if there are any errors. Just double check that it still has the file name ending in .docx (and it's not saved as an earlier version)

If this doesn't help then email technical@distancelearnincentre.com with your files attached to the email. They may be able to see the problem (or may forward them onto me to see if I can fix it!)

I'm sure we'll be able to get it sorted - if you're using Word for Mac then it should be an easy fix (or are you using Pages?? If so, Technical will be able to offer some advice)
Curriculum Manager

Kels

Postby Kels » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the advice Rhia, will see if this helps! :thumbup:

KirstyM

Postby KirstyM » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi,

I've treated myself to a MacBook Air today and I'm struggling to get to grips with it!

When I download my SAQ's, it's telling me that the font isn't available and that it will look different -can anyone explain this? (an idiots guide please :lol: ) I'm worried I'll upload a document that won't be recognised by DLC.

I bought this to make my life easier but it's causing me a headache already. I love it but its just not quite as straightforward as my desktop where everything is in word.

Many thanks

Kirsty

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:01 pm

I will get the person who knows about these things to post tomorrow when she is back at work
Karen
DLC Executive Director

KirstyM

Postby KirstyM » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Thank you Karen.

Rhia Hayday

Postby Rhia Hayday » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:31 am

Hi - I use Word for Mac, which sorts out any formatting issues (because I need to collaborate with people using PCs), but if you're using Pages then you should still be ok. If the font looks different that's alright as long as we can still read it :)
Complete your SAQs on Pages, upload it onto your account and let your tutor know. If the formatting is problematic then let me know and I'll have a look at it on my Mac and see if there's any setting etc on the document that I can have a play around with.
Curriculum Manager

Return to “General Discussion and Chat”