What is the difference between units and modules?

Air your views. Talk about yourself, your family or even about nothing in particular!
Chloevee

What is the difference between units and modules?

Postby Chloevee » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:44 am

On the homepage under course information, there's a list of the contents of the course. I'm not sure whether these are the modules

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: What is the difference between units and modules?

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 am

Hi Cloe,
Modules are the whole subject like Chemistry and units are the subjects within the module for example Further organic chemistry.

So each subject we offer has a number of credits attached to it, universities make offers on the credits and each unit has a number of credits attached to it. We offer 6 and 3 credit units.

All the credits together add up to 60 (there can be no more than 60 credits in an access diploma)

Out of the 60 credits overall 45 credits are graded pass merit and distinction these are always at level 3

The 15 credits left are ungraded and they can be at level 2 or level 3

All access diplomas throughout the country are in this format as all access programmes have to follow the structure and rules set out by QAA (the quality body for access)

So, a university may say that they will make you an offer on say 20 credits at distinction and 25 credits at merit. They can also specify subjects and units at this point or the type of access diploma they will accept.

This means that to actually go to university these are the grades/units/modules/type of diploma that you will need to achieve.

All universities make more offers than actual places as some students do not achieve the grades in the offer. Universities also make offers on lots of qualifications so that A level and Btec National Diploma students are also made offers at the same time. The universities find out through UCAS which students have met their offers all at the same time (at the beginning of August) and so the universities then know which of their offers can be made into places taken and any left over go through clearing, where students can pick up places that have not been filled.

If you want any more information do just ask

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

Urbashi Dewan

Postby Urbashi Dewan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:24 am

Hello Karen,

I have been offered a place at two Universities for Nursing.But, I have been told to achieve

Pass the Access to HE Diploma with 9 Level 3 credits at

DISTINCTION and 21 Level 3 Credits at MERIT. Satisfactory for the First University

Second University asked to achieve obtaining
A minimum of[b] 112 UCAS Tariff points

What does it mean, pls? I am doing Access to Nursing course online.

Thank You

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Urbashi Dewan wrote:Hello Karen,

I have been offered a place at two Universities for Nursing.But, I have been told to achieve

Pass the Access to HE Diploma with 9 Level 3 credits at

DISTINCTION and 21 Level 3 Credits at MERIT. Satisfactory for the First University

Firstly congratulations on your offer, what it means is this every topic you study has a number of creditd attached to it some are wroth three credits and some are worth 6 credits. 45 credits out of the 60 you will study on your diploma are graded and universities make their offers on the graded credits. You have been given a very good offer that want you to have achieved a mark at distinction on 9 credits which could be just two assessments and a mark at Merit on 21 credits. Total 30 credits which means you could just get passess on 15 credits.

Second University asked to achieve obtaining
A minimum of[b] 112 UCAS Tariff points

What does it mean, pls? I am doing Access to Nursing course online.

Thank You

Some universities do not specify how many pass, merit and distinctions you have to get but tell you how many UCAs points you need, this is more complicated but in general the best way to look at what you need is to use the UCAs points calculator

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

You will find that 1 credit of distinction is worth 3.2 points, Merit 2.1 and pass 1.1

You first choice is only 90 points so the secod university has given you a higher offer Any problems do contact student services as they are nore reliable than I am over the holidays Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

Return to “General Discussion and Chat”