QUB Queens University Belfast

Air your views. Talk about yourself, your family or even about nothing in particular!
MissAbigail

QUB Queens University Belfast

Postby MissAbigail » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Would anyone have information about studying Midwifery at QUB after attaining the access diploma to Midwifery with DLC? I have scoured their entry requirements and it says the following:

--Applicants offering Access/Foundation course qualifications must also have a grade B at GCSE in both Mathematics and a Science subject or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University. Within an Access programme, 70% in NICATS Mathematics and in a Level 2/3 Biology or Chemistry or Physics module (minimum of 15% of the programme) would fulfil the requirements. A minimum of a grade C in GCSE English Language or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University is also required.

Applicants offering Access/Foundation course qualifications must also have a grade B at GCSE in both Mathematics and a Science subject or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University. Within an Access programme, 70% in NICATS Mathematics and in a Level 2/3 Biology or Chemistry or Physics module (minimum of 15% of the programme) would fulfil the requirements. A minimum of a grade C in GCSE English Language or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University is also required.--

I have no formal qualifications, so alongside taking on access to Midwifery NM option 2, I have taken on GCSE English and Maths with DLC. I understand the biology section of access is enough to fulfil the requirements as it states above. But if anyone has experience directly with QUB it would be very useful for me. Many thanks folks x

Jane Dowd
Student Services Manager

Re: QUB Queens University Belfast

Postby Jane Dowd » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi,

I rang QUB and they confirmed their entry requirements were an Access Diploma and a GCSE grade B in Maths and a Science and a GCSE grade C in English. On UCAS course finder their entry requirements for the Diploma break down into

Access to HE Diploma
D: 15 credits
M: 30 credits

Successful completion of the Access to HE Diploma with a minimum of 60 credits is required, including 45 credits at Level 3.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Jane

MissAbigail

Postby MissAbigail » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:52 am

Thank you Jane, very helpful!

Can I confirm with you, where it says that within an access course 15% of the modules being level 3 biology would fulfil requirement, does that mean that this would be sufficient in leui of a science GCSE? As I can only do English and maths alongside the diploma, I had taken it to mean as such but perhaps I have misunderstood. I did Email the admissions directly but they advised it is particularly busy and may take a while for a response.

Many thanks x

Jane Dowd
Student Services Manager

Postby Jane Dowd » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi,

Their entry requirements below suggest this

Applicants offering Access/Foundation course qualifications must also have a grade B at GCSE in both Mathematics and a Science subject or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University. Within an Access programme, 70% in NICATS Mathematics and in a Level 2/3 Biology or Chemistry or Physics module (minimum of 15% of the programme) would fulfil the requirements. A minimum of a grade C in GCSE English Language or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University is also required.

However, I would advise you to wait for their reply in relation to the GCSE Science requirement to be absolutely sure.

Best wishes
Jane

Return to “General Discussion and Chat”