About to sign up for Access to Midwifery Course

Air your views. Talk about yourself, your family or even about nothing in particular!
jessokeefe

About to sign up for Access to Midwifery Course

Postby jessokeefe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi there!

I'm in the process of seriously considering signing up to an Access to Midwifery course through distance learning and am looking for some advice regarding the course! I work full-time and can't really give this up, is the course do-able with a full-time job? I don't have children or dependants so am able to dedicate time in the evenings and on weekends to this study, will it be bearable?
eventually I want to do a midwifery degree at university and i'm wondering which course is more recognised when applying, Access to Midwifery NM or Midwifery HP? / what is the difference..

anyone who is actually currently doing either courses.. are you enjoying it?
I really want to get my backside in gear with this study as I've wanted to be a midwife all my life, and put off going to university after my a-levels for travelling, then got caught in full-time work!

thanks in advance!
jess

amy1993

Re: About to sign up for Access to Midwifery Course

Postby amy1993 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Jess,
My names amy,
i signed up to the access to nursing and midwifery course on tuesday and started this week, i also work full time and am intending on applying to university for the march intake next year. I rang my chosen university just to double check that they do accept this and they definitely do- maybe worth just ringing your chosen uni and checking with them but im sure it wont be a problem. As for whether or not its bareable i have read quite a lot of reviews from people that have been in similar situations with full time jobs and children and what not and they have managed it ofcourse it will be challenging but it'll all be worth it in the end, drop me a message if you sign up for the access course be nice to know somebody who is doing the same course at the same time as me :) xx

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Jess
To answer some of your questions, I will let the students answer others

Q I work full-time and can't really give this up, is the course do-able with a full-time job?

A The course is really suitable for people who work full time, as it was designed for those of you who are unable or do not want to go to a traditional college. Unlike college where you have to go to set classes at set times etc with this you work at your own pace over a time scale to fit with your life. Your tutor can contact you in the evenings when you get home from work and unlike a traditional College where a year long course is actually only 30 weeks, a year long course with us is a whole year, which means that if you enrol now you will be in really good position to apply to University to start in September 2018

Q I don't have children or dependants so am able to dedicate time in the evenings and on weekends to this study, will it be bearable?
A Distance learning isn't for everyone, it can sometimes be hard to stay motivated. However, with the help of your tutor, the forum and the facebook group you should find pleanty of support to stay focused and with nearly 800 students completing and gaining their diplomas, I think that we can safely say that it is bearable.

Q Which course is more recognised when applying, Access to Midwifery NM or Midwifery HP? / what is the difference..
A Niether course is more recognised than the other, t really depends on your interests. The Allied Health is more sciency with the main subject areas being biology and psychology, whilst Nursing and Midwifery, is more social care orriented though still offering 27 credits in biology, so I would take one course rather than another depending on which subjects you find more interesting.

Hope that you find the answers useful and good luck in your studies

Karen :wave:
DLC Executive Director

jessokeefe

Postby jessokeefe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Thank you this has all been super helpful!

Amy I have no idea how to contact you on this, I won't be starting this course until at least september!! hope it all goes smoothly for you. May be in contact then haha

Jess

amy1993

Postby amy1993 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:17 am

Hi Jess, haha im not sure either but if you trace back and comment on a message ive wrote on I should be able to see it! thanks very much hope you sign up too! xx

jessokeefe

Postby jessokeefe » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi Amy!

Change of plan, I'm actually starting the course next week! I couldn't hold it out any longer, i'm too impatient and just want to get stuck in. I chose Nursing and Midwifery NM (Option 2) what course are you doing?! would be nice to have someone doing similar!

X

amy1993

Postby amy1993 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi Jess- haha bless you im doing the same course as you- access to nursing and midwifery option 2- be nice to keep in touch throughout the course! :D

jessokeefe

Postby jessokeefe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Perfect Amy! Are you on the Facebook group? If not, join! And I'll find you haha x

amy1993

Postby amy1993 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:23 pm

no im not on the facebook group! ill try and join it tho :D

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Postby PPoskitt » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Welcome to the DLC and to the forums! :) :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Laureliz

Postby Laureliz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi all!

I'm also working full-time and have a little one so would be great to support each-other! I started last week.
I originally started the Midwifery NM but switched to HP after speaking to one of the universities. They recommended the HP pathway as it would help more with the 1st year of the degree.

They also ask for mainly distinctions so other unis may be different.

Laura :D

claire37

Postby claire37 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi All,
How are you finding the course? I've just signed up and starting next week whilst looking after two little children and all going well hoping to go to nottm uni to study midwifery, I've had to take the course with more biology credits to hit their submission criteria.

Good luck with the course

Claire

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:00 am

Yes Nottingham want more credits as they are the only university who does not count the research units into the biology total ( :crazy: ) . They will also want you to take the exams at the centre rather than via Skype so if you have any questions reagarding Nottingham please do get in touch with student services.

All the best

Karen
DLC Executive Director

Karen

Postby Karen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:04 am

Hi Claire

Good luck with your course :thumbup:

Karen
Believe you can and you're halfway there :dance:

Received an offer for Forensic Psychology (2017) :D

Return to “General Discussion and Chat”