NVC - Variables and Participants

charlief.

NVC - Variables and Participants

Postby charlief. » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Hello all
Just wanted to double check something.
In my experiment write up for Stats & Research Methods, where you just do the design, I had the independent and dependent variables to think about when coming up with the hypothesis etc. However as this is an observational study, I'm not actually manipulating anything am I? So this doesn't apply for this hypothesis. Or so I think.. Do I just mention variables such as age that may have an effect? Although it's unlikely I will know participants ages and guessing wouldn't suffice.
And when it talks about debriefing participants, as it's observational they wont know they're taking part so is it enough to just explain this?

Sending myself round in circles thinking about it so thought I'd post on here, any help would be great!
Thank you

Elliechloe

Re: NVC - Variables and Participants

Postby Elliechloe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi just got my marks back on this, I just put that no independent variable can be identified as this is an observational study and there are no controlled variables,I.e distractions etc are out of the observers control. Also no de brief required as participants are unaware, hope that helps x

charlief.

Postby charlief. » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:09 pm

That's great, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track (I'm presuming you passed lol)
Thank you!

stublue

Postby stublue » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Your observational study would have variables, and don't forget that uncontrollable variables are still variables! for example the dependant variable (what stays the same) would be time frame, Location and maybe the classroom assistant. The Independent variable (that which can change) can be the child and the parent. In this way you are able to measure the out come as it is a repeated measure against separation. Further as a point of ethical consideration you would need to gain informed consent for the data on the child and parent to be included in your research. To this end a debrief (as the participants are blind) could be the best opportunity to gain this.

charlief.

Postby charlief. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi
I think your nvc assessment must be different, I have to observe couples and look at gender differences in touching behaviour.
It's for the social interaction module, and to complete research methods
Sorry for the confusion :)

stublue

Postby stublue » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 pm

No it was me that was confused I was giving an example for the Child development observation. However the same principles apply. :D

stublue

Postby stublue » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Here is an extract from my NVC study that concerns itself with the variables in the test. Be sure however not to copy as it would be considered plagiarism (not that I have to point that out but just thought I would )

.....The sample was determined to be the independent variable (IV) as these people would change as the measures were repeated. Whereas, the dependant variable (DV) consisted of the touches that were measured; these would remain the same throughout the experiment. Here too, confounding variables (CV), such as background noise and the situation (an open public area), have been recognized between the DV and IV as these can produce spurious data; which may have flawed the statistical testing used (Chi squared).......

I hope this helps you!! :D

Return to “Self and Social Skills”