Grading advice

New to the forums? Introduce yourself and find out how it all works.
roscoe.stephanie

Grading advice

Postby roscoe.stephanie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Hello there

I am new to the forum, apologies if I've posted this to the wrong place. I have a question regarding obtaining distinction grades… The course I am applying for is asking for 45 credits at distinction level *argh*… It feels impossible. I am wondering, if I achieve a pass/merit in a unit, am I able to resubmit to obtain the distinction grade that I need? Or is that just not how it works?

Really nervous about how achievable 45 distinction grades is. :/ Have many people achieved this?

I have completed the ungraded units and just about to finish TAQ 1 on Intro to Cell Biology (I am doing Biology with Psychology). I need to be finished by the end of May 2020. Is this achievable with a full time job, when I am aiming for top marks?

Thanks

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Grading advice

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:50 am

Hi Stephanie,

I have replied to each of you questions:

I am wondering, if I achieve a pass/merit in a unit, am I able to resubmit to obtain the distinction grade that I need? Or is that just not how it works?
I am afraid that you cannot resubmit to get a higher grade as this is against QAA rules (the body that oversees all Access courses throughout the country) their rules say that once a piece of work is eligible for grading (i.e. it has met the pass criterion) then it must be graded and that there is no 'grade polishing'

Really nervous about how achievable 45 distinction grades is. :/ Have many people achieved this?
Yes it is possible and a lot of our students do manage to get 45 credits at distinction. The best way to do this is to make sure that you keep to your deadlines which will mean that you have all the feedback from your tutor telling you how to improve on your assessments. Intro units are really good for this as although they are not officially graded you will get an indicative grade and advice on how to improve on that particular set of subjects.

I have completed the ungraded units and just about to finish TAQ 1 on Intro to Cell Biology (I am doing Biology with Psychology). I need to be finished by the end of May 2020. Is this achievable with a full time job, when I am aiming for top marks?
Again yes it is possible but it will be hard and will depend on how much time you have to put into the course

Hope that this helpful.

Karen
DLC Executive Director

Return to “Welcome Room”