Struggling with the introduction to developmental psychology unit

sugar01

Struggling with the introduction to developmental psychology unit

Postby sugar01 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:23 pm

I feel really stupid struggling with this because it's a subject I know a fair amount about since it was part of my higher in early education but I am really struggling with the wording of the questions.

I've completed TAQ1 without a problem but TAQ is causing no end of stress! it says to evaluate a theory in relation to that particular area of development but does that mean to give a breif explanation of the theory and how it relates or is it to evaluate the good and bad points of the theory in relation to that particular area.

Any help is much appreciated

Rebecca Smith

Re: Struggling with the introduction to developmental psychology unit

Postby Rebecca Smith » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:33 am

Hi
Even though you feel as though you are struggling you are decoding the questions well! :thumbup:
For this TAQ you need to do both of these - so explain the theory and then give strengths and weaknesses of it
Good luck!

Bane Harper

Postby Bane Harper » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:36 am

Hi

You have to keep it short and simple and relate it with theory with rationale....hope this will work out for you :thumbup:

sugar01

Postby sugar01 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you :thumbup: I think I got it and have completed that question now, on to the nature nurture debate now

sugar01

Postby sugar01 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:17 am

lol I'm stuck again, got everything done apart from TAQ 3, I'm looking at Bowlby's theory of attachment as support for the nature side of attachment but the more I read in to it the more it seems to be supporting the nurture side due to the fact that the bond between mother and baby is built through the mothers responses to her baby.

I can't really get my head round how his theory can be used to support nature at all :?

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 am

But if you look at Lorenz then you will find information on imprinting in animals which shows Nature, it is always difficlt with humans as you cannot bring them up in issolation, though there is some evidence where this has happend but of course this also means that there is abuse involved. So for nature we always bring in animal studies.

Best wishes

Karen
DLC Executive Director

sugar01

Postby sugar01 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 am

I am looking at Lorenz too, I think I'm just confusing it because in my notes it says:

nature= genetics and environment contribute to behaviour
nurture= genetics are responsible for behaviour

I have always thought that nurture referred to interactions and environment rather than genetics while nature was just down to genetic programming :? clearly I have them both the wrong way round

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am

Yes nature is genetics and nurture is environment

Karen
DLC Executive Director

sugar01

Postby sugar01 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:52 am

would that not mean that Lorenz's study supports nurture since the geese formed an attachment through a basic genetic need rather than seeking responses and interraction with their attachment figure?

sugar01

Postby sugar01 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58 am

I meant nature, so Lorenz's theory supports nature as they form a bond purely through a genetic need but I still can't see how Bowlby's theory also supports nature because he says it is an innate ability but also built through interaction, this is what's confusing me

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:09 pm

No the other way round, think of it this way

Nature means it is what you are born already possessing, it is just nature, like a sheep eats grass not because someone has taught it to it just does as it is genetically programmed to do so. So it is what you are born with, and nothing else part from what you are born with makes you do something. So with imprinting the geese imprint and follow the first thing that they see and think that it is their mother even if it is not and if the mother turns up later they would still rather have what ever they imprinted on be it Lorenz or welly boot.

With nurture it is like nurturing something i.e. loving and looking after a baby. Then the type of parents and where you live etc makes a difference, so if you are born with parents who don't care and don't look after you properley then that will make a difference to you are a grown up. It is like the idea of the cycle of deprivation, a child that is brought up in deprived conditions is more likely to act in the same way to their own children as that is all they know, but it is not a given, they may turn out to be brilliant parents because humans hve muxh more to them than just what they are born with, personality changes as we groww, other significant people make a difference etc. So this is not how that child was born it is how it was brought up i.e. how it was nurtured.

Hope this clarifies things

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:10 pm

posts crossed now you have got it
DLC Executive Director

sugar01

Postby sugar01 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:13 pm

so am I right in thinking Bowlby supports the nurture side then? thinking this purely because he says it's innate but requires interacction and care from the mother to form properly

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:26 pm

Bowlby says that there is a genetic tie to the mother and that without a mother the child will not grow up as a rounded person and lots of other people say that this is not true but that nuture makes a huge diference and a mother not is not the be all and end all.

I really think that at this point you should go back to the topics as it explains things much more clearly than I can do here and gives all the the theories. I think that you are probably becoming more and more confused at this point becuase we going round in ever decreasing circles. If you need to speak to someone about it do get in touch with your tutor and they will give you a tutorial and go through it all with you.

Best wishes

Karen
DLC Executive Director

Karen

Postby Karen » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Sugar

Have a look at this website, I think it will be useful to you:

https://www.simplypsychology.org/naturevsnurture.html.
Believe you can and you're halfway there :dance:

Received an offer for Forensic Psychology (2017) :D

Return to “Child Development”