identify and explain joint and muscle movement

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Cat.Auld

Postby Cat.Auld » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:53 pm

I'm currently on the Anatomy and Physiology of Human skeleton and muscles assessment TAQ sheet. I'm trying to finish up but am a bit stumped on both questions of TAQ 3.

It says 'indentify and explain the joint and muscle movements involved in swimming. Focus your discussion on one type of stroke and the upper body' and the next one is the same but for cycling and the lower body 'cover the joints and muscles in the lower body and the movements generated'

Each answer should be 200 words each. I've gone through the basic movements in breast stroke and cycling (eg head dipping under water arms pushed forward fingers pointed together, arms separate and push out against the water, head rises again as arms come back to sides and hands rejoin etc) and understand that i need to mention the joints involved eg the elbow being a hinge joint and the shoulder being a ball and socket joint etc. But the bit about the muscle movements has me stumped. Does it mean i have to list all of the muscles involved in breast stroke and how they move
together, eg. the flexors and extensors? and mention the tonic and twitching muscles? They definitely seem the hardest 2 questions out of all the TAQs and I wonder if I am over thinking them?

HELP!

Thankyou

Pam Leach

Re: identify and explain joint and muscle movement

Postby Pam Leach » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi, this is probably the most challenging TAQ in the assessment. It is best here to focus on the joints used, and how they relate to the action of swimming/cycling. Then include the key muscle that flexes/extends the joint. Although this sounds like a lot of information, it can be succinctly put into a sentence for one joint for example: in the downward push on the pedal, joint X extends by muscle Y.
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

Cat.Auld

Postby Cat.Auld » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Thank you Pam, I'm still battling through it but with your help I've reduced the amount of information I am trying to shoe horn into 200 words.

MichaelWeins

Postby MichaelWeins » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:24 am

Does this mean, if I add these buffers to a pepsin solution they will end up being the pH of the buffer??

Pam Leach

Postby Pam Leach » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:04 am

I think you have submitted the question to the wrong section. A buffer prevents the pH of a solution from changing too much.
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

Return to “Biology Chemistry and Physics”