Radiotherapy/Radiography

Air your views. Talk about yourself, your family or even about nothing in particular!

Radiotherapy/Radiography

Postby kirsty0101 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi all, just wondered if theres anyone out there interested in studying Radiotherapy or Radiology when they have completed their course? :)
Kirsty
Student Radiotherapist in the making *HOPEFULLY*
kirsty0101

Re: Radiotherapy/Radiography

Postby Karen Hayday » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:09 pm

We have quite a few.... so why be so shy girsl and boys!

Karen
DLC Executive Director
Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby vicky7 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Kirsty,

I will be applying again this year for diagnostic radiography at Derby Uni. I have just completed this course and my work has gone off for moderation :D

Ask away if you have any Q's as I have all the time on my hands now.
vicky7

Postby kirsty0101 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Ooo good luck. I was undecided between the 2, but aI think I am more settled on Radiotherapy now, hoping to study at BCU as it's where I live, and I think the nearest Uni that does Radiotherapy to me is Bristol :?

Haha I could probably think of a million questions if I could get my brain into gear! How did you find the course? I haven't studied in nearly 4 years now, and am finding it all a bit daunting. I keep trying to do the work, but worry that I am reading it wrong. I know I have my tutor, I just feel I want to ask him something for every single question I have to answer :?

Kirsty xx
Kirsty
kirsty0101

Postby vicky7 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:57 pm

kirsty0101 wrote:Ooo good luck. I was undecided between the 2, but aI think I am more settled on Radiotherapy now, hoping to study at BCU as it's where I live, and I think the nearest Uni that does Radiotherapy to me is Bristol :?

Haha I could probably think of a million questions if I could get my brain into gear! How did you find the course? I haven't studied in nearly 4 years now, and am finding it all a bit daunting. I keep trying to do the work, but worry that I am reading it wrong. I know I have my tutor, I just feel I want to ask him something for every single question I have to answer :?

Kirsty xx

Ah so young, studied 4 years ago, i'm 41!! It is bloody hard at times, the forum is a godsend to be honest. there will be an answer to most of your queries if you dig hard enough but don't be afraid to post a problem if you are stuck. Someone out there will have gone through your crisis.
I have had resubmissions on every one of my modules I think which sent me a bit mental at times and may have lost some of my hair, but you learn to make the time and study and do make use of your tutor just to clarify if nothing else, they know their stuff.

HTH Vicky
vicky7

Postby Karen Hayday » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Bit thick took a long time to work out ATB so what is HTH?.... might use it

Karen :D :D :D
DLC Executive Director
Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby meishkablue » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Hello there,

I too am going for Diagnostic Radiography. I have a bit of a sad story to be honest, lol. I got a place at Bangor Uni (I live nr Manchester so here and Salford were my nearest) was so excited then some personal issues caused us to have to move out, then I lost my job and couldn't continue with my studies as I couldn't afford to pay for them so I had to go on hold. It's taken ages to get another job (with the current climate) and there's no way I can get my studies completed in time for September. I have written off to Bangor to see if there's anything they can help with but I doubt it and think I will be re-applying for 2012 entry. Absolutely gutted.

Got all the Biological Science modules left to complete.

Helen :)
meishkablue

Postby Karen Hayday » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 pm

That is really sad. But something that may help a lot of universities are asking for physics for Radiography and we will have six units at level 3 . They will be available from September!

All the best

Karen
DLC Executive Director
Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Postby vicky7 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Karen Hayday wrote:That is really sad. But something that may help a lot of universities are asking for physics for Radiography and we will have six units at level 3 . They will be available from September!

All the best

Karen

I asked Derby if they will accept this as my missing level 2 science and they said no, they would rather I do an O level Physics, can't win eh :shock:
vicky7

Postby Janice_xxx » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Kirsty, I'm planning on applying to Liverpool to study Radiotherapy, however I keep reading how over-subscribed the course is and I'm worried I won't get a place. I've also been looking at Radiography (also a popular course!) but I want to work specifically in cancer care. Have you contacted your uni about entry requirements yet?

Let me know how you get on with your application
Good luck
Janice :)
Janice_xxx

Postby kirsty0101 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey, it's nice to speak to other people who want to do Radiotherapy, only know a few so far. I know, I keep reading this too. But I suppose all we can do is try our best and get the best grades possible on this course. I've also looked into Radiography, but if I'm honest it doesn't really appeal to me, especially as it would be shift work. I've always wanted to work somewhere I can make a difference to someones life. Have you gone on a clinical visit yet?

Yes, I emailed the addmissions tutor for the course and he said they accepted this. I just need I think 25 credits at Merit level or above :) Have you contacted them?

How far are you on this course?

Kirsty :)
Kirsty
kirsty0101

Postby Janice_xxx » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:54 pm

I've only done English and Maths so far, so a long way to go but I'm determined to finish before next June. I left my job in accountancy last month to concentrate on changing careers, so I'm doing the course full time at the moment while I try to get a job as a Healthcare Assistant (I need the experience!). I've got a clinical visit organised at The Christie in Manchester in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait! I'm also waiting to hear about volunteering there too. Have you been on one yet?

I spoke to the admissions tutor at Liverpool and they are very strict, they want Distinction for all Level 3 modules and I'm also having to do GCSE English and Maths as they don't accept the equivalents (DLC have already expressed their annoyance at this and are going to mention it to OCN who run the Access course :) ) unfortunately for us Uni's make their own rules and change them whenever they want :x

Are you applying for 2012?

Janice
Janice_xxx

Postby kirsty0101 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Ahh I'm lucky I never had to do English and Maths as I already have a GCSE in them both. I am only on my first module so I have a long way to go too as I am planning on the June moderation. Am planning on 2012 as well so fingers crossed for both of us.

I haven't yet, I need to organize one. Did you just phone them up? Wow they are strict, can't believe they want all distinctions. I am still working full time so I have to try and fit in the work whenever I can.

Really can't wait to start the course

Kirsty
Kirsty
kirsty0101

Return to General Discussion and Chat